Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Podcast Killed the Video Star


Years ago, a wise man once told me “Video killed the radio star.” Well I’m here to give a new pronouncement, that Podcast killed the video star. It was an easy killing as videos have been in a decline since the late 90’s. MTV and VH1 rarely show them anymore. MTV2 and FUSE both focus on the agro-teenage boy demographic (i.e. trite rock and bling-bling rap), so to see videos, you are denigrated to having to find them on the web, typically with low quality.

As for , I for along time thought that, like TIVO, I just wasn’t cool enough to use it. I had heard its name for a couple months but I wasn’t exactly sure what they were. But then a couple weeks ago, began offering up Podcasts, most (if not all) for free. My interest was peaked and when I opened the Podcast section on iTunes, I turned into a kind in a candy store. My eyes were open wide. They had Podcasts for everything you could think of: Sports, Music, News, Politics (for the right and left), Comedy, Technology, Education, even the Queer Eyes have their own podcast handing out gay tips. Today on one of my podcast subscriptions I heard a mash-up combining Kelly Clarkson’s Since U Been Gone and The Eagles One of These Nights (beacuse who wouldn't want to spend One of These Nights with Kelly). Now that’s worth the price of admission right there. And of course the price of admission is free.

And the Buggles prediction has come full circle because Podcasts are essentially radio broadcast for the internet. And unlike the radio, you can find something that interested as my radio plays very little in the way of diversity. And if you already have a Podcast, you can publish it through iTunes. Don’t expect a Scooter McGavin podcast anytime because I’m sure that I’m definitely not cool enough to do it.

ESPN Podcast


There are a few Lyric Quiz songs that still have gone un-guessed, so I though I’d put up a couple hints.

1. The lead singers wife and child were prominently featured on their performance.
6. This song was featured in the movie City of Angels.
13. Next line: She had hair so long that it looked like weave, now she cut all off, now she looks like Eve.
15. This artist is no stranger to helpful causes as he helped found Farm Aid.
16. Stevie Nicks is featured in this song but the group is not Fleetwood Mac.
18. Mos Def is featured in the video for this song but doesn’t rap on it.
19. This band features members from two huge bands of the 90’s.
20. She is a British singer who was severely overlooked in America.
23. At the time of this song, this rapper had a DJ.
25. They were the only rap act at Live Aid and wore a specific type of shoes during that performance.

2 comments:

  1. Is #1 Coldplay Trouble?

    LOL I know nothing about Live 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. # 6 is: If God Will Send His Angels - U2

    # 15 is: Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young

    #19 is: Audioslave - Cochise

    this is fun!

    ReplyDelete