Friday, December 16, 2005

Is He All the Things You Tried to Change Me Into


The Real Thing - Bo Bice

After won my unofficial guilty pleasure of the year award and I enjoyed ’s debut album guilt free (see my review – Oh There’s Nothing Like Oklahoma) I could be warming up to the whole American Karaoke thing. So I decided to check the dude Carrie beat in the latest installment, .

After my first listen through his debut, The Real Thing, I thought, “How horribly bland.” It is really hard to write a review of an album that constantly puts you to sleep out of boredom. The songs are very familiar to his sup-par outing on ’s album (see my review – Your Fire Fills My Soul) except Bice Bice Baby doesn’t have Carlos’ guitar to bail him out here. Instead Bice brought in members of , Chad Kroeger of , Ben Moody fresh of his work with and , and John Shanks who is also best know for working with females who try to rock. That’s not necessarily a Murderer’s Row of rock music. At least with pre-for mentioned Lohan and Simpson, their music strikes an emotion, even if that emotion is hatred, which is still better than the uninspiring music that Bice has made here. I would much rather have people hate me than to have no opinion at all.

But the music isn’t even the worst part of the album, the writing here makes Lohan’s confessionals on her latest album (see my review – You Turned Something So Good So Bad) look like Keats compared to the lyrics on The Real Thing. You’d think someone who doesn’t write their own lyrics (Bice only have co-writing credits on two tracks) would at least pick out songs that didn’t sound like a middle schooler who relies way too much on trying to rhyme like, “I’ll open every car door, I won’t go out anymore, I’ll even eat off the floor” (You’re Everything). It’s not too surprising that Kroeger didn’t save that gem for his band.

So with The Real Thing, American Karaoke’s miraculous streak of good music has ended and hopefully Bice Bice Baby will say hello to Justin (whatever his name is) on his inevitable trip to obscurity, or even worse, The Surreal Life house.

Song to Download – For the first time ever, I have absolutely nothing to recommend, although if there is someone you really hate on your Christmas list, this is the perfect gift. Although if I must make a suggestion, check out Bono and Alicia Keys team up on the charity single Don't Give Up (Africa)

The Real Thing gets a Terror Alert Level: Low [GREEN] on my Terror Alert Scale.


3 comments:

  1. Jeez..I couldn't get past the awful photo on the cover to listen to any of the songs. I liked Bo ok on the show...but I wouldn't spend my money on his CD. There is a girl I work with who just thinks all the songs on this CD are just EXCELLENT! She's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought both Carrie's and Bo's Cd's at the same time. Here's a clue guys,there are totally two differenr venues. This is NOT a contest anymore and I think thatthat BOTH performers are going to do great.It's the FANS, not the critics who will buy concert tickets and I for one will listen to Carrie in my car but skip a concert. Bo on the other hand will have sell-out performances because he has such stage presence and a GREAT voice. So give the man his props. He deserves it...Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God we are able to listen to music the is pleasing to the ears and not be swayed by critics opinions. I highly recommend getting Bo's dual disc. The extra three dollars is worth it. Put it in your car and CRANK IT UP! JOHN

    ReplyDelete