Friday, January 20, 2006

RIP Wilson Pickett


Wilson PickettLongtime reader know I like all types of music from all the genres but if one were to put a gun to my head, I would say that soul music is my favorite and was the quintessential soul man of the 60’s. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991. Like most people of my generation, I wasn’t introduced to Pickett until I saw where the band in the movie’s main goal in life was to perform with the soul singer and once I heard Pickett I could understand why. Even though Pickett was a soul singer, his song, Mustang Sally has become the greatest bar band song of all time and should be a requirement for every new rock band to learn. In addition to Mustang Sally, In the Midnight Hour is also an all time classic and Land of 1000 Dances has spawn a thousand covers and parodies most notable the WWF’s version featuring the golden era of the early 80’s wresters singing the song. It’s also worth checking out his amazing version of the Beatles Hey Jude. Pickett was 64 years old.

For more information on Wilson Pickett check out 'Mustang Sally' Singer Wilson Pickett Dies of Heart Attack

No comments:

Post a Comment