Saturday, January 07, 2006

There's Nothing Wrong With Ohio


Brett FarveOne of the biggest stories of the NFL offseason looks like one that has been discussed the last couple years, is going to retire. With the dismal performance this season, which looks like it will continue into next, and the recent exit of his coach , the odds of Farve’s retirement are a lot higher this year. But for football fans of my generation, we have a connection to Brett Farve and believe that the once invincible quarterback still has one more year in him and definitely don’t want him to go out on such a sour note. But since Green Bay is still a couple years until it can be rebuilt, here is idea for Farve to ponder: the .

Romeo CrennelAfter the debacle that was the Butch Davis era, things look to be turning around this year for new coach . First, the O-Line has finally been solid for the first time since the Browns returned which would give Farve more time and won’t have to resort to the wild bombs into triple coverage like he did many time this past season. Also he would have many weapons to throw to. , who should be recovered from his knee surgery in time for the 2006 season, and could quickly become one of the best tandem WR’s in the league. Plus is always a dangerous third option. Then next season we should finally see the return of who has the possibly of being the TE that Farve really likes targeting especially in the Red Zone. And even if he isn’t a great of a "Soldier" as he claims, was definitely productive this year.

Reuben DroughnsAlso the Browns have finally gotten a workhorse running back in Reuben Droughns that can also take pressure off Favre. Also with a treat through the air, Droughns could get into the endzone more than the two times he made it this past season. So with Farve at the help, the Browns turn into a instant playoff team. This isn’t to knock who won’t lose you games, but he won’t win you games like Farve can. And showed us in the last couple games that he isn’t quite ready to lead a team. So how about it Brett, like a wise man once said, “There's nothing wrong with Ohio, except the snow and the rain.” But playing in Green Bay, you should be used to that. Plus if there are better fans in the NFL than the Cheeseheads, it would be the Dawg Pound.


As for the playoffs that start today, a look back at my preseason pick look to be extremely pathetic (see here, will have to scoll down) with only four of my picks actually making it (Steelers, Colts, Seahawks, Panthers) while my Super Bowl (Falcons) pick is already out of it while some picks finished last in their divisions (Jets, Packers, Eagles). So here are my revised picks:

AFC Title Game: Colts over Denver
NFC Title Game: Seahawks over Bears

Super Bowl: Colts over Seahawks 24-12

There’s nothing like chalk in the playoffs.

3 comments:

  1. You posted about my favorite guy! Brett Favre!! He's had a rough year and I can't imagine the Packers ever being the same after he retires. He'd look really weird in the Brown and Orange of the Cleveland Browns. Doubtful that will ever happen... But, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett Favre is pretty much the only reason I even care about the NFL. I've enjoyed watching his career, and I thought he played like a hero last year (what with his dad's death and all.) I've been a Packers fan for a while because of him and Bart Starr.

    While I don't relish the thought of Brett retiring, I relish even less the thought of him wearing a different uni. I neither love nor hate the Cleveland Browns, and I imagine I'd still watch him play if he were to join them, but I don't know if I'd feel the same.

    Ideally, I'd rather see him either go ahead and retire gracefully now or come back and have a monster year next year and retire on a winning streak. Either way, we love ya Brett!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett's got a life time contract with GB, either he plays here or nowhere (which even he has said). The idea of my boy Brett in a Browns uniform makes me throw up little bit in my mouth. Granted, if he retires and I've never gotten to see him play live I will regret it for the rest of time!

    ReplyDelete