Saturday, February 18, 2006

Be My Little Rock & Roll Queen


Young for Eternity - The Subways

The next band to cross the pond in hopes of American dominance is . And much like the original British Invasion, it seems like the band is going after the teenage girl demographic but instead of making their debut on the Ed Sullivan Show like the Beatles did in the sixties, in the new millennium The Subways instead introduced to themselves stateside to young girls everywhere via the soundtrack to with the indie rocker Rock & Roll Queen. The band screamed and turned the guitars up and overpowered the other mope rock that has populating other bands on the soundtrack.

Now the band has finally released the first album on this side of the pond, . With the thrashing Rock & Roll Queen, it’s odd to here the album start with a folksy touch with the song I Want to Hear What You Got to Say, but the song quickly starts bouncing around sounding very similar to the Queens of the Stoned Age’s No One Knows. The same bouncy cadence shows up again later on the album with Oh Yeah. The band quickly picks it up with the next song, Holiday with an opening riff that sounds very similar to Green Day’s American Idiot. Um, is anyone noticing a trend?

Even though each song has a very distinctive style ranging from folk, to garage rock, to punk, each song sounds like it’s been done before. Mary and No Goodbyes even sound something might have done in the early years. In fact the band almost sounds as if the dude from joined (The Subways are a band with two guys and a girl, no word if there was a pizza place involved), not that it would be a bad thing. And they even let the chick take over the vocals on a few verses and occasionally add a few soft harmonies giving the songs an extra boost. Youth for Eternity may not be the album that breaks The Subways, but that breakout success may only be an album or two away.

Song to Download - I Want to Hear What You Got to Say

Young for Eternity gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Scooter,
    I didn't find a more appropriate spot to put this. I just wanted to say thanks for bidding on my blog for an ad today! Unfortunately I could only pick one bid. However, I still have an offer up, so if you have a 80x15 pixels button, feel free to send me a copy and I'll feature it on my blog for free. :)
    Cheers!
    -t-

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I may or may not agree with you, I do like your writing style for these reviews. Thanks for bidding for rental on my photoblog. Hopefully you get a few hits. :)

    ReplyDelete