Thursday, February 09, 2006

Toss Up: Lost vs Veronica Mars week 10


Not only did and do battle last night, it was turned into a triple threat match last night with the addition of the Grammy’s last night, which is the best award show of the year. Luckily for the scripted shows, the second hour of the Grammy’s was the weakest with performances by Kelly Clarkson, Paul McCartney, Mariah Carey, and Keith Urban with Faith Hill. But the shows ended in time for possibly the weirdest performance I’ve ever seen, but I’ll go into that more during my Grammy review tomorrow. But now on to my weekly Toss Up debate:


Person Who Says Dude
Lost - Hurley averages about five dudes per episode.
Veronica Mars - Hannah tries to say dude, but can’t pull it off.
Winner - Lost


Same Sex Hook-Ups
Lost - Sawyer wants to see Kate and Sun in an oil wrestling match.
Veronica Mars - Dick unknowingly goes all Brokeback Mountain.
Winner - Veronica Mars


Defending a Significant Other
Lost - Jin wants to mount up and hunt down the Others for kidnapping Sun.
Veronica Mars - Beaver gets back at Dick for harassing Mac by making him go all Brokeback Mountain.
Winner - Veronica Mars


The Long Con
Lost - Sawyer cons everyone on the island for control of the guns.
Veronica Mars - Weevil takes the Senior Trip money then sets up Thumper to take the fall.
Winner - Lost

Scarier Arch-Nemesis
Lost - Charlie’s new goal is to make Locke look like a fool.
Veronica Mars - J.B. will destroy Veronica in order to win the Kane scholarship.
Winner - Lost


So it Ain’t So Joe
Lost - Charlie was the one who kidnapped Sun.
Veronica Mars - Terrence Cook admits to Keith he threw a game in the ACS.
Winner - Veronica Mars


Did You Notice?
Lost - Sabrina the Teenage Witch’s aunt served Sawyer coffee. Oh, and think she was also Kate’s mom.
Veronica Mars - Logan’s new friend’s dad just happened to be the dude who lied to the cops that he called in the Logan on the bridge incident.
Winner - Veronica Mars


Lost this week again followed recent trend of somewhat interesting island story paired up with flashbacks that brought nothing interesting to the story. Sawyer’s long con was brilliantly executed except were exactly did Sawyer hide all the guns where people will not be able to find them? There are two very skilled trackers in the tribe so I can’t image it will be that hard for them to find the stash. Not to mention how exactly was Locke able to move all the guns before Jack and his posse got there? In the end I have a feeling that the Others will end up finding the guns before Locke or Kate hunt them down.

In the flashback, Sawyer cons yet another woman starting out the con exactly like the last one we saw, but this chick is a little smarter and figures out he’s trying to get her money. But the recently divorced mark wants the rush of the con and is lured into Sawyer’s world. And if anyone thought Sawyer was actually falling for her obviously hasn’t been watching the same show because it wasn’t too shocking to me that he ended up conning her in the end. Oh, and also Sawyer ran into Kate’s mom too. But instead of Kate’s mom turning to the long con like I thought or ending up being in the car in the end as my second guess. No all she did was pour coffee. That had to be one of the biggest letdowns on Lost yet. Seriously, why bring back the actress just to have her pour coffee? Even if it is paid off later, it will still be too late.

But a show that never fails to pay off is Veronica Mars back with a solid effort after the lull of the post-Duncan leaving episode. This week Neptune was throwing its winter carnival to raise money for the senior trip. But just as the Tritons did their ritual naked mile, the trip money went missing under Veronica’s watch. Weevil, who has spent his time since being ousted as a gang leader by growing his hair out, ended admitting to Veronica to the theft after rolling to school in his new car. Not that anyone else would figure that out as Weevil planted enough on money in Thumper’s locker in addition to Mrs. Houser being caught skimming off the top.

And what better place to fall in love than the Winter Carnival as we get three new hook-ups. We get to see Wallace and Jane on their first date. Also Beaver and Mac quickly couple off after only one episode of flirting. But the most interesting is Logan’s courtship of the uber-cute (and Meg look-a-like) Hannah. But since to her lack of dating experience, I can’t imagine daddy will be too happy of her making out with the son of an alleged murder in front of him. Oh, and there’s that whole, he set up Logan by giving the police false information thing.

But it was Terrence Cook making an appearance at Mars Investigation that was the most interesting part of the episode. In it we learn what could be some very crucial facts about the bus crash. First it turned out that Ms. Dumass, you know that teacher on the bus, went all Fatal Attraction on Cook, ruining his impending nuptials. And she happened to overhear him talking to the Fitzpatrick’s about his extensive gambling debt that led to him throwing a playoff game. Oh, those Fitzpatrick are just showing up everywhere this season.


Next week could be the breaking point for Lost, I have theorized most of the season that the bunker clock will hit zero at the very last second of this season’s finale, but surprisingly, we may actually see what happens next week (granted I’m sure it will hit zero at the end of the episode and won’t se what will happen until the next wee, but anyways). If this turns out to be a dream sequence or something fake, I may never watch the show again. Also it looks like Sayid will be capturing an Other (I’m sure that’s not the case) and will be looking for answers.

As for Veronica Mars, next week will be as same as this week. Or at least that’s what the preview was the same as last week. But I have it on good authority that next week will feature Kristin from as a lesbian cheerleader. There is nothing that says must see TV like “lesbian cheerleader.”

Speaking of Kristin from Laguna Beach, I didn’t watch her new show, Get This Party Started but wanted to talk about it anyways. From the previews, the premiere episode sent two girls from New Orleans to Vegas for a big party. But to get them there without ruining the surprise party, they told the girls they were going to some big talent show for their singing. Now here my problem with the show, the lie was better than the actual party. If someone told me I going to Vegas for a singing competition, I’d be let down to find out all I was getting was a party.

And as I mentioned a few times earlier, I will be having a huge announcement to make in the near future. Actually, I’ll just tell you right now. But first I need some mood music (cue up Going Back to Cali) At the end of the month, the good people over at UPN/Warner Bros. are flying me out to San Diego where I will get tour the set of Veronica Mars, meet the actors, and have lunch with creator, Rob Thomas (no not this ). I’ll pass along some more information as the time comes and of course I’ll have a complete wrap up when I get back including pictures and the like. I have a feeling this will be up there with the time I was on Letterman. And if any other TV shows are interested in flying me out to their set, just shout me a holla.

2 comments:

  1. Nice site Scooter...
    Came by way of 'Rent my Blog' on SGT's site...
    AubreyJ.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha..Going Back to Cali brings back such memories for me..it would bore you, however, so I won't get into it.

    You crack me up. You are one of "THOSE" people...the ones who keep saying, "I may never watch Lost again, if..." I am happily a follower and will be 'til Lost's dying days. :D Pathetic? Yes..but then, you know I watch American Karoake, too.

    ReplyDelete