Tuesday, February 14, 2006

When There's Nothing Left to Say What Can You Do?


The Secret Lives of The Veronicas - The Veronicas

Have you ever wanted to like and but found Avril too abrasive and Ashlee not abrasive enough? Well I have the duo for you, . They are not to be confused for or for that matter; instead the twins from Down Under took their name from the Archie’s. Sadly there isn’t a cover of Sugar, Sugar anywhere on their debut album, The Secret Live of the Veronicas. Oddly enough, the albums closes up with a cover of what could be the worst one hit wonder of the nineties, Tracy Bonham’s Mother, Mother.

The album itself stars off with the raucous teenage in lust rocker, 4Ever which would sound out of place on other records by the other young female guitar-based pop starlets of the genre. In fact most of the Secret Lives of… wouldn’t sound out of place on those other albums. Other the regular themes are here, the other woman (Everything I’m Not), the failed relationship (When it Falls Apart), the good relationship (Speechless), I’m moody (Revolution), bad parenting (Mother, Mother) and many of these themes are repeated over again and again.

One new theme is found on Secret where the girls confront a would be stalker. But the girls brush him off because, “I never looked at you that way ‘cause I always thought you were gay.” Ouch, now that went a little too far. Maybe I was wrong when I called them less abrasive than Avril because she never went over that line. In the end, if you are a fan of the chicks with guitars genre who say things like “When I freak you understand,” the Veronicas are for you, if not, no reason to start with them.

Song to Download - 4Ever

The Secret Life of the Veronicas gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.


1 comment:

  1. Being a 15 year old girl, I love the Veronicas, they seem to be aimed at my age lines... the pop/rock duo. I'm surprised at some of the things you said but I suppose they really do make sense. I didn't know that Mother, Mother was a cover though!

    ReplyDelete