Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Chatting with Rob Thomas and Jason Dorhing


Before I get to the teleconference I want to pass along something my contact at Veronica Mars passed on to me. First thing, there are few things more disturbing thank opening up my e-mail and see something with the subject, “Veronica Mars Has Not Been Canceled.” That means there might be rumblings about that. But for those that have heard there rumors, here’s a statement from my contact at UPN:

Veronica Bloggers, we need your help with only something you can do. There's a rumor on the internet that Veronica Mars is canceled. It's not true. Please help us spread the word.

If you were on the Rob Thomas Blogger Press Conference yesterday, you know that he's planning for a third season. Season three is still absolutely possible with your support!

So tune in tonight, 9 PM, ET/PT on UPN.



It seems like every other day there is a report of shows from UPN and WB that will or will not make it to the CW, but none should be believed. It seems like I heard almost every show currently on both networks will both be picked up and canceled by now. The people at the CW said nothing is set in stone and will unveil their schedule sometime in May, so you shouldn’t believe anything unless it is officially issued by UPN/WB/CW.

That much hyped teleconference I’ve been talking about lately was finally last night as Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and star Jason Dorhing, the latter who was fashionable late though as he came straight from a looping session. Unfortunately there were much more people invited to participate than I thought there would be so I only got two questions asked but at least that was one more than other (poor Ducky was told they were wrapping up while on hold). Hopefully someday I get an one on one interview with Rob so I can get to all my long list of questions still left over from last night and the Bloggers Press Day in San Diego last month.

Rob ThomasHere was my question for Rob (minor spoilers in the answer): I get this sense that the two overlying major themes of this season, who killed Felix and who caused the bus crash, might be related. Am I totally going out their on a ledge here?

Rob: (laughs, and if noticed, of the three questions I’ve posted here, he laughed at everyone): You know, I wouldn’t tell you if you were right. That’s information I want to keep close to the vest right now. I mean, um, there are characters overlaps in there whether we have the same cause at the end of the day, the same villain at the end of the day; I will let you find out. In the next couple episodes, the great thing about season one, and I feel really strong about this in season two, it feels like we spend the first half of the season sort of making the story get bigger, introducing more characters, more plotlines, some of them red herring, some of them very specific, real clues, and we spend the last half of the season sort of narrowing the focus. I though last year our final five or six episodes were really strong an our fan base are really following the year long mystery and I feel confident this year going into last five or six it gets real meaty on both of those storylines. I will say this they don’t resolve at the same time, the two storylines don’t resolve at the same time. It’s a bit of a clue, but not a complete clue.

Jason DohringMy question for Jason: With Veronica Mars’ season winding up do you have any plans this summer like any movies lined up?

Jason: You know, I don’t know. There’s a lot of materials I’m kind of spoiled from reading guess from reading a lot of Veronica Mars scripts. There a lot of low budget horror films and I don’t know that’s something I want to do, I think I’m just looking for more quality product or go into theater, doing something that’s kind of acting specific. And I’m going to continue looking for something; I’ve only read one thing so far that I’m like really down to do and their still pulling together their financing for that.


Here are a couple more interesting tidbits asked by other bloggers and I'm sure the other Veronica Mars Press Day Bloggers have more in depth stories and you can look for them on my sidebar. (minor spoiler ahead):

Rob wore Neptune Fish House shirt, something that Dick will be wearing in the future.

This and next favorite of this year

Rob says they are “blowing up the bank on the season finale.” And will be spanning the continent (mmm, Mexico maybe?)

Picks episode titles that will make him laugh. Next week’s “The Raps of Graff” may be his favorite.

Doesn’t look like Cupid will make it to DVD.

Logan and Dick will find they can't quit each other.

Rob also mention that he and the writers are thinking of changing up the format from the two major seasons long arcs to maybe going with three short arcs going 7-7-8 weeks. You are welcome to comment here but it may be best to have all the comments at one place and the best would be at Give Me My Remote Forums and post your thoughts on this there. And tomorrow there will be my regularly scheduled Toss Up between one of Rob's favorite episodes of Veronica Mars and Lost's five can't missed scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment