Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Mystery That Is Shelly Pomroy


Last week I shared with you my number one burning question for Rob Thomas, creator of , dealing with the other dude with his name (see No, Not That Rob Thomas), and today I will regale you with the question I most wanted to know about the show, here’s the transcript:

Scooter McGavin: One person that’s been brought up a lot last season and has been brought up once this season; are we ever going to meet Shelly Pomroy?

(Rob Laughs)

Scooter: Unless I’ve missed it, I don’t think we’ve ever seen her except in the background.

Rob Thomas: Shelly Pomroy, now this is a great bit of trivia, Shelly Pomroy is a girl I went to high school with and had a crush on in seventh grade and she dated my best friend throughout high school and remains a good friend to this day and she has a cousin who had work in soup operas and was coming out to LA to make it as an actor. And she called me; Shelly Pomroy called me, and said “Would you mind seeing my cousin if you have anything right for her?” And this was the Purity Test episode, the Purity Test episode we need a cheerleader and said, “Yeah send in your cousin and I’ll meet her.” And that’s Madison Sinclair. Madison Sinclair is played by Shelly Pomroy’s cousin, which is a weird bit of business because Shelly Pomroy is a real person. Shelly Pomroy has been referenced…

Magnolia: Which one?

Rob: Oh which one, which one of the two. Because the first time we cast Shelly Pomroy we didn’t need an actress we just need someone we could make out, the second time we need an actor.

Magnolia: In the pilot she was just an extra sitting in the lunchroom with Duncan and Logan and the camera focused on her, “that’s Shelly Pomroy.” Then she’s a brunette, then there’s also a show where’s she’s making out with Duncan, people didn’t know that was Shelly Pomroy.

Rob: And that’s bad planning on our part.

Magnolia: And then there’s a third one in A Trip to the Dentist where she’s doing the…

Rob: Uh, Straddling Veronica.

Magnolia: How do you explain that, closet lesbian?

Rob (chuckles): Yes.

My tape cuts off there as I believe we reached the wardrobe trailer and the conversation pretty much ended. There were some spots of bad audio so I may have missed it on the playback, but I’m pretty sure that Rob said that the girl named Shelly that dated Duncan early in season one was intended to be the infamous Shelly Pomroy. And while transcribing this I noticsed he totally didn’t answer my original question, but it was an interesting response especially since it involved one of my favorite non-cast member, Madison Sinclair. What can I say; I have a soft spot for hot chicks with attitude problems. Speaking of hot chicks with attitude problems, the good people at UPN/Warner Bros has passed along some pictures of Laguna Beach alum Kristin Cavallari who will be making a guest appearance on tomorrow’s brand new Veronica Mars which I have posted one below courtesy of UPN/Warner Bros and is used by permission. If you want to see more you can check out my new photo blog, the aptly titled Scooter McGavin Takes Pictures. Also below the picture I will print some spoilers that UPN passed along, so avoid them if you don’t want to see them.


Kristin Cavallari on the set of Veronica Mars



Spoiler Alert


Veronica is on the case when someone tries to blackmail the gay students of Neptune High;
Dr. Griffith tells Logan to stay away from his daughter Hannah after he walks in on the two of them cuddling on the couch;
Veronica tries to track down a runaway bride, who happens to be Wallace's new girlfriend's sister;
Aaron Echolls meets with Kendall Casablancas and asks if she can get into Logan's hotel suite;
And Veronica runs into her ex-boyfriend, Troy (guest star Aaron Ashmore), when taking a college tour with Wallace.

Also, Michael Cera (George Michael) and Alia Shawkat (Maeby) of guest star.

3 comments:

  1. hehe, I first thought this Rob which I really like.. but after readin' I see it isn't him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if my constant interrupting stopped Rob from answering your question.

    I wanted to know *which* Shelly Pomroy he was talking about, because it was annoying that she was in three episodes, and played by three different actresses. I always wanted to know what was up with that. But you're right, Rob didn't answer your question about whether she'd be appearing in a larger role at some point (she did actually have a speaking role in "Meet John Smith" when she was making out with Duncan). So I'm sorry if that was my fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TN Chick - You really need to start watching Veronica Mars, but I admit I thought the same thing when I first saw his name in the credits. And is way I had to asked him about it (explained in the link above)

    Magnolia - I really don't think you kept Rob from answering my initial question. I pretty much assumed him laughing and going straight into the Madison Sinclair story meant he wanted to avoid it. Maybe she a part of the major season 3 arc. Well a boy can dream.

    ReplyDelete