Saturday, March 04, 2006

No, Not That Rob Thomas


Today I have my first of many in depth stories from the set of . Since we are a week and a half away from the next episode and over a month from the first new one, I thought I would start off with a story that really doesn’t pertain to the show itself. Just a little back story, the first time I watched the show and saw that the show was created by Rob Thomas I thought to myself, “this is from the same dude who wrote 3AM?” I came to realize that they were two separate guys, so when we sat down to lunch I though I’d break the ice with a softball question by asking Rob, “How much do you hate Matchbox Twenty jokes?” Here's his response (Thanks to Magnolia for help with transcribing):


I don't really get that many jokes, actually. The only annoying thing about it is showing up places and realizing that they're disappointed that it's you; checking into hotels, you know they've been looking at that reservation and hoping, or stewardesses on airplanes. But I actually got a note from the other Rob Thomas because people were going on the Matchbox Twenty website and talking about his books and the show. And this would have been a while back he was friend with somebody at 20th Century Fox when I had a deal there and he sent me a note on a wedding napkin that said ‘Rob, if people come up to you and say that your band sucks, it's all yours, but if they say you're great, let them know it's me.’ So I liked him more for that note.


Check back later for even more tales from the set of Veronica Mars including a Scooter McGavin exclusive that you won’t see anywhere else. But next up I will regale you with a story about the infamous Shelly Pomroy so look out for that. And don’t forget to check out for an all new Veronica Mars on March 15th.

4 comments:

  1. Magnolia on the Talk of Life blog has, I think, the whole statement that Rob Thomas made about people confusing him with the tool from Matchbox 20. Also, I think a stronger argument can be made for "Push" as tool Rob Thomas's magnum opus as opposed to "3 A.M."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that Magnolia had it but it seems to start right around where mine did. I think this is a case of someone seeing the other turn on their recorder and decide to turn theirs on too. I'm not sure anyone got the beginning of the answer, but I thought I'd ask.

    As for the Matchbox Twenty song, it was a toss up between the two as which one was bigger so I just picked the one I liked best. In actuality, I think Bright Lights is their best work, but I'm not sure anyone would recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried to commit everything to memory, so you're both ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the full question and answer recorded, but all he said at the beginning was "I don't really get that many jokes, actually," or something like that. Then he went on to say what you've typed up, that "the only annoying thing blah blah."

    ReplyDelete