Thursday, June 01, 2006

Well I’m Mike D and I’m Back from the Dead


Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

I have a dirty little secret I must confess, I just recently got . As someone who has been called a music snob, you’d think I would have gotten back in ’89 and look down on everyone who overlooked what is widely considered not only the best album, but the best rap album ever made, but much like the rest of America at the beginning of the 90’s, I was expecting License to Ill 2 and could quite understand the direction they were going in.

Even when I got those songs, I still didn’t pick up Paul’s Boutique until discussing the rap troupe around the release of To the 5 Burroughs and a co-worker of mine asked to borrow my Beastie Boys collection and then chastised me for my lone omission from their catalog (granted, keep in mine that this dude had none). So this exchange finally to plug the hole and the album somehow exceeds all expectations which makes the album this month’s induction into the Scooter Hall of Fame.

Much like every Beastie Boys album, the songs are chock full of enough pop culture references that would make Buffy Summers and Veronica Mars blush even if not all of them are all that popular. Am I the only one who looked up Sadaharu Oh? Also the wordplay is tight with my favorite being the phonetically pronounced “knowledge” from The Sound of Science. But the key to making this the greatest album is all the intertwining samples, roughly four hundred, throughout most of the song from such diverse artists as and as well as some artist so obscure even I’ve never heard of the. And thanks to licensing fees put in place right after the release of this album, it’s a good bet that Paul’s Boutique will stay on top of the best rap album list for a while.

The songs on the album are some of the group’s best. Hey Ladies is a great transition from the sophomoric lyrics heard on their debut but trade rock riffs for disco beats and a cowbell that even could approve of. Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun shows you how good the rap/metal genre could be in the hands of real artists. High Plain Drifters showed that rappers could slow things down and still be creditable. And Shake Your Rump should be required be on the playlist of every house party. Or if you are lazy, you can just throw Paul’s Boutique on and everyone will be happy.


4 comments:

  1. Now WHO would ever call you a music snob??? The NERVE!

    :)

    VERY cool review. I think I like you again, Scoot. No, no..I STILL like you, but I now like you more.

    Have a good one. (and shake...your..rump-a)

    ReplyDelete
  2. clicked thru to you from fickin chingers... uh yea, pauls boutique is pretty good...i've had it since it first came out... i listened to it everyday... havent heard it in a while but it's their best by far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't know why anyone would call me a snob, I usual find that people who call other people snobs tend to be bigger snobs themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat.

    ReplyDelete