Sunday, September 24, 2006

Don't Download These Videos vol. II


I’ve decided to go with a set title when I do these video round ups as I’m just to lazy to come up a new title every time and I’ve realized that sometimes I waste a good title on a video post that would have made a good title for an album review, so Don’t Download these Videos with become the official title (unless someone can send me a better idea). There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of . I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to YouTube where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.



White & Nerdy - "Weird Al" Yankovic

Another week, another "Weird Al" Yankovic video. This time it’s a live action one for Ridin'’s Ridin’, a parody so good, Chamillionaire (does this guy have a nickname because this takes too long to type) even put it up on his MySpace page. Plus look out for cameos from Seth Green and Donny Osmond playing the role of Krayzie Bone. Sadly there are a couple things that Al mentions that I, myself, take part in but I fall short of anything Star Trek because Trekkies are the uber-nerds; nerds that all other nerds fear (and by fear I mean mock).
Polkarama - “Weird Al” Yankovic
I could have rested on my laurels and just brought you one “Weird Al” video, but no, here is one for Polkarama albeit, not quite legal I’m assuming considering the station logo changes from video to video. But God bless those who have way too much time on there hands who made this. And leave it to Al to make the The Pussycat Dolls listenable. But as for my favorite segment, I have to go with 50 Cent’s Candy Shop which sounds a lot better polka style.
Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
I’m sure longtime readers know if there are two things I hate in music are dudes who sing karaoke and country music. Yet much like when you combine sodium and chloride, two things that could kill you separated when eaten, but together and you gets something that is very tasty (and will only kill you slowly). The same when you combine karaoke and country with the output being Carrie Underwood who surprisingly doesn’t suck massively. As for the video, I could have done a much better job coming up with a concept as the CGI at the end is extremely cheesy, but much like evil-Lana on Smallville, evil-Carrie is much hotter than the nicer version. For more on Underwood, check out my review of her album from November, Oh, There’s Nothing Like Oklahoma.
It's All Coming Back to Me Now - Meat Loaf & Marion Raven
When I first heard the song I thought it sounded familiar then realized that it’s a Céline Dion song. Granted the song was written by Jim Steinman, Meat Loaf’s longtime contributor, so it really fits with Loaf’s repertoire and works a lot better as a duet with some chick named Marion Raven. C’mon, you know you like it.
Canadian Idiot - “Weird Al” Yankovic
Okay, one more “Weird Al” video. Again, not necessarily on the up and up as someone just synced up the Green Day video with Canadian Idiot. Many apologies to my neighbors to the north, but everything Al talks aboot is right. And don’t forget Straight Outta Lynwood comes out this Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment