Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Original Fire has Died and Gone but the Riot Inside Moves On


Revelations - Audioslave

was always a band that I was hesitant about. I was a huge fan of fan and the only rap/metal band worth listening to with Zach de la Rocha’s great delivery and Tom Morello’s eccentric guitar as a backdrop. But things reportedly fell apart when bassist Tim Commerford bum rushed the stage at the 2001 Video Music Awards after the band lost out the best rock video to embarrassing de la Rocha to the point that he quit the band to work on a yet to be released solo album. The other three members, including drummer Brad Wilk did not rest on the laurels, instead recruited Chris Cornell of to form an entirely new band that luckily didn’t involve Cornell rapping. Instead it sounded exactly what people expected, Soundgarden’s melodies mixed with Rage’s raucous guitars. But I was still hesitant as I still wanted more Rage.

Much of the same can be heard on Audioslave's third album Revelations, that you heard on the first two. But as the band progresses, the more it sounds like dark seventies rock with Morello’s signature guitar licks only coming out during his solos as Cornell channels his inner . This is prevalent right off the bat with the opening title track. Until We Fail plays very similar to I Am the Highway off their self titled debuted but loses its momentum unlike the previous song. Original Fire is an upbeat romp that can be the first song in either band member’s history that calls for you to hand-clap thought the song and has a soul music through a rock filter to it. Broken City is a bluesy song highlighted where Cummerford shines with the bass groove. When the band it at full throttle on Shape of Things to Come, it’s one of the greatest rock sounds in recent times. The album closes with Moth, a haunting song that is the closest the band has gotten to sounding like Soundgarden.

Each of the songs on the album could become a rock radio staple like previous songs but as David Fricke of put it best calling the band, “a supergroup that keeps making good records that fall shy of great” and Revelations is no exception. And Revelations is the most average of their outings. But then again I’m still holding out for a Rage Against the Machine reunion.

Song to Download - Shape of Things to Come

Revelations gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure what I think of this album yet. Most of the songs seem good, a few seem great, but I don't yet enjoy ALL of them like I did with Out Of Exile.

    But, hey, it's an Audioslave album! That's never a bad thing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, that's why I put the Rolling Stone quote, fits this album perfectly, good, but never great. I hope that it will grow on me though. Maybe I need to hear some songs live.

    ReplyDelete