Friday, October 13, 2006

Don't Download These Videos vol. III


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of YouTube. I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Smile - Lily Allen



My new favorite song that no one else is listening to (overtaking I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)). Just when you think ruined faux-reggae music forever, here comes Lily Allen to make it entertaining again. And what makes this song great, in a time when is content with getting made at an ex-boyfriend, Allen gets even. The best part is when the intruders trashed the LP’s, but them put them back in the case. Classic.






Okay so the song, a remake of the song, is no Crazy which may sadly send them to one-hit wonder status, but the latest video by may actually be more entertaining than the other one. Granted nothing beats their Star Wars performence at this year's MTV Movie Awards. But seriously, who doesn’t enjoy watching chick on bug lovin’? And what better message than there is no better hallucinogen then bug spray?


Wind it Up - Barenaked Ladies



Where Gone Baby Gone video is a chuckler, the new video is laugh out loud funny. As funny as Earl Hickey’s mustache is, this guy’s may actually be funnier. Plus the song includes possibly the best line from any song this year, “I was a baby when I learned to suck but you have raised it to an art form.” And as great as this video is, there are making one that may top it as the group is gathering fan submitted air-guitar videos to be included in a second version.






I really didn’t plan on including two British chicks biting black music, but you got to love anyone who uses Tetris in their video. Granted the song by Jay-Z’s latest find, is mediocre at best. Really the only thing worse that white dudes rapping are which chicks rapping. Did she really start sing at the end of the song? So for those keeping at home, as a record executive, is batting .000. No wonder why he is getting back into rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment