Wednesday, October 18, 2006

We on Award Tour: 2006 Hip-Hop Honors


In a story I broke yesterday, VH1’s Hip-Hop Honors were last night and for three straight years it failed to disappointed putting the yearly event right up there with the Grammy’s and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Oddly enough for a show that celebrates hip-hop, the show started off with a bunch of people. But the Law and Order skit was hilarious with ’s cast members from SVU talking about there favorite honorees and T showing up late to ceremony only to be replaced by Mike B. Keep in mind Mike B could just be your next president. (See the end of the post for the video of the skit) As for the show, VH1 were really smart making ?uestlove of The Roots the musical director and should bring him in every year. Here are some thoughts on this year’s honorees and performances:

- The kick thing off and surprisingly Tracy Morgan was actually funny intriguing them. , the recently bullet-ridden , and come up in full B-Boy get up and spit probably the most recognizable Beastie verse with the start of Paul Revere but not surprisingly they cut off the song before they got to the part about the whiffle ball bat. Then the Beastie themselves came out to a rousing version of So Whatchcha Want, even switching the beat to the one from Fabolous’ Breathe.

- Now I’ve long held onto the belief that chicks shouldn’t rap, but I have to admit if I were to make a mix tape that represents 1996 for me ’s Cold Rock a Party would be on it because no party during that summer didn’t feel right if it didn’t feature that song.

- Whenever you see a list of the greatest MC’s you will most likely see Biggie or , but whenever you see a list that is complied by rappers themselves, it would be that would be on top. Naturally one of the best lyricists of today, came out to introduce him. The tribute featuring Black Thought and . Really there is no better way to start off a house party that something that features the bassline from Paid in Full. And hopefully the long delayed Rakim album comes out soon because the new track was tight especially with the Roots backing him. The horns were off the hook.

- When I first got into it was around the album that I can’t reprint here because my censors won’t allow it. But this was right after left the group and like many rap feuds back then you had to pick your side, do for years I refused to listen to Cube until he did that song with . The dude from did a good job at Check Yo Self. Who knew he would rap?

- Russell Simmons gets the only non- music induction this year deservedly. Hip-Hop doesn’t reach the masses if it weren’t for Def Jam. But where was the love for his running mate at the label Rick Rubin? Nice mix of songs played during his tribute.

- With and Ice Cube being honored kind of makes you wonder why not honor N.W.A. as a whole? No surprise my favorite Eazy-E song, Gimmie Dat Nutt doesn’t make the tribute. Oh well. But my homies from just a couple miles north of me, crawled out of obscurity to perform their tribute song The Crossroads.

- I never got into the theatrics of but it’s nice to see him get his due and it seemed natural that introduced his tribute with George Clinton and Bootsy Collins participating. Odd that was the only honoree in the history of the show that didn’t perform.

- If there is one thing that I have learned in my life is that is nothing to (expletive deleted) with. Nice to see the Clan reunite on stage with all the members showing up (sans Ol’ Dirty Bastard, R.I.P.). I remember seeing the troupe perform back in 1998 when they toured with . Granted they were a half an hour late to the venue. And when they arrived the spent time playing basketball backstage before actually coming out minus three members. And when they did they only gave a twenty minute set because they had to get off stage so Rage could do their set before curfew. So it was great to see them perform C.R.E.A.M. and Triumph with Method Man actually jumping into the crowd to spit his verse.

Looking forward to next year, here are my suggestions to honor next year: , , , N.W.A., , and (feel free to share who you think should be honored and be sure to scroll down to check out my lyrics quiz to see if you can answer any that are left). You can watch performances from the show at and I'm sure VH1 will repeat throught the next couple weeks.


2 comments:

  1. I was very impressed with the show. Loved all the Beastie Boys stuff. Takes me back to sophomore year in high school.

    I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As good as the Beastie Boys stuff was it could have been better. They spent too much time on the DJ and should have given more time to Q-Tip, Diddy and Fabolous than just two verses for the three of them. For me the Rakim tribute was the highlight. I can't wait to here the new song he performed in it's entirety.

    ReplyDelete