Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I Got My Degree in Crying


Taylor Hicks - Taylor Hicks

Long time readers know my dislike of the national karaoke contest that is called American Idol. The show is usually loaded with singers who are not good enough to land a record contract without going on a reality show singing songs that are not all that good to begin with. And to back up my theory is that aside from original idol none of the winners have really lived up to the moniker (granted found a niche fan base) when thirty million people watch the show yet they barely go platinum. But anyways.

The latest, and most surprising karaoke winner went to , a guy so old he actually older than me, and let be honest, if you are older than me, you by definition cannot be an idol. Even though I avoid the show like the plague, it’s very hard to avoid updates and people talking ad nausea about the show and whenever I saw Hicks was still in the running I would think to myself, Him? Seriously?” I always thought him staying in the competition was like back in high school where you vote the kid from the “special” classes to win the talent show just to make him feel good. But apparently a whole nation felt bad for him leading to the worst winning song in American Karaoke history, Do I Make You Proud? To answer the question, no. In fact “Weird Al” Yankovic asked a better question, Do I Creep You Out? And to that a resounding yes.

And so just like all the previous Karaoke winners, a rush was put on to get his debut album out before Christmas, and like previous albums, the rush shows. The album is chalk full of bland pop songs that aren’t helped by Hick’s who sounds like if Michael McDonald actually sounded white. Just for good measure they even throw in the prerequisite Diane Warren song (Places I’ve Been). And if you think Hick pseudo-blue-eyed-soul is cheesy, wait until you hear him try to croon a balled. Also helping out Hicks is (no not the guy behind Veronica Mars) who penned Dream Myself Awake, as well as an unreleased tune, The Right Place. Hick even dusts off two songs he wrote for an earlier album (wait a minute, I thought American Karaoke was an amateur competition, how does he already have an album?).

One of the reason former contestant fail is most likely because your normal viewer much prefers their karaokers to sing other people’s songs instead of creating their own. Hicks alleviates that problem a little by adding a cover of ’s Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home). And he also rips off samples Ray Charles What I’d Say on Heaven Knows. But when it comes down to it, the album is one of those after a half an hour you realize, “what that’s still on, I totally forgot I was listing to it,” the album is that boring. And being mediocre is actually worse that being bad. Say what you want about Paris Hilton (and I said a lot during her review: Since I'm Already Screwed Here's Message to You), but she managed to make the worst album of the year and there is something novel in that. Anyone can be mediocre like Hicks and the other Karaokers, but it takes a lot of talent (or in this case extreme lack of it) to be the worst of the worst.

Oh and if I were , I’d look into copyright infringement for Hicks obsessive use of the similarly sounding silly catchphrase. Well maybe wait to see how the Mariah Carey/Mary Carey lawsuit turns our.

Song to Download - Dream Myself Awake

Taylor Hicks gets a Terror Alert Level: Low [GREEN] on my Terror Alert Scale.


9 comments:

  1. WHAT? Rob Thomas actually wrote a song for the first album by an Idol winner?
    I can only hope that this happened the way it's happened before: Rob wrote it, then someone picked it up and said "Hey! I know a guy who needs a song!"
    Otherwise, I'm afraid of what will happen to my relationship with Rob Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is that the song was a leftover from his solo album because it isn't as good as anything on his album yet ironically it turned out to be the best song on Hicks's album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I halfway wonder if that Rob Thomas song is a cast off from DAUGHTRY's CD. Chris Daughtry is a huge fan of Rob Thomas' music and it was publicized that they were collaborating on writing songs for Chris' CD. However, when the CD came out (which I LOVE btw) there weren't any songs penned with Mr. Thomas on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Taylor Hicks! Welcome to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Taylor Hicks is only 24 ?? Thats not that old ?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wikipedia has him born in 1976 which by math puts him on the wrong side of thirty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wrong side of 30..nice.
    What the heck do you call 36? (me)

    Anyway, I still want the CD because for the most part, we have very different tastes in music with a few exceptions.

    I've now heard 3 songs from the CD and I really really like one of them and the other two are pretty good. So, yeah, I'll most likely get the CD for Christmas. I promise not to call you and leave bits of the songs on your voice mail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Angie you can always look in the bright side in that you are on the right side of 40.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Taylor Hicks!!! I have his CD, and i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete