Saturday, April 28, 2007

2007 NFL Draft


We are not even halfway through the first round and there are some great moments in this year's NFL Draft. Most notably being the Detroit Lions taking a Wide Receiver in the first round (all top ten overall picks) for the fourth time in five years. I don't care if Calvin Johnson was supposedly the best overall talent in the draft, you can't make that move if you are Matt Millen. I have a feeling all GM's got together and made a pact not to trade up to force Millen to draft Johnson. The other enjoyment this year is trying to figure out who looks more disappointed, Brady Quinn or his girlfriend. You can tell she is visualizing her engagement ring shrink smaller with each passing pick.

As for my team, the Cleveland Browns, like I said earlier this week, with a playoff drought (one appearance in over a decade), the Draft is pretty much the Super Bowl for us. Here a look at their picks (will be updated throughout the weekend as they pick):

1st Round (3rd Overall): Joe Thomas - OT Wisconsin: First I'd like to say thank you to the Browns for taking my advise to pass on Quinn, although I wouldn't be against trading up to get him at this point. Great pick with Thomas to help sure up one of the worst O-lines in the league. The reason why the Browns are near the bottom in passing and rushing is not because of the personnel (totally), but the defense gets to the ball too quick. This should plug one of the many holes.

1st Round (22nd Overall from Dallas): Brady Quinn - QB Notre Dame: I'd like to say I called it and thought it was a good move, until I heard the terms of the deal. The Browns gave up the 2nd round pick and their first round pick for the 2008 draft. Bad decision considering that the Browns most likely won't be picking 22 or higher next season. I guess when you were heavily thinking about picking Quinn at three, it is worth giving up next year's number 1 unless we end up with a top 2 pick next year.

2nd Round (53rd Overall from Dallas): Eric Wright - CB UNLV: After they traded away their second round pick to Dallas in the Quinn deal, I though the Browns first day was over but checking out the draft this morning I saw they made another trade with the Cowboys this time giving up their third and fourth round pick and swapping six rounders. I was hoping the Browns would focus on the aging front line because the more pressure you get on the QB, the better the backfield gets. And not surprisingly a dude named after Eazy-Z comes with characters issues stemming from an alleged rape, charges that were later dropped but led him to transfer to UNLV from USC. But looking on the bright side, in the two years he lived in Las Vegas, he not once made it rain at a strip club, so he has that going for him.


Now I understand that many of my readers are not big sports fans and for those that are may not care about the Browns, so here is a little something extra for you and Reason #69 to watch Veronica Mars: Dick Casablancas. Enjoy (and don't forget to tune in May 1st).



No comments:

Post a Comment