Monday, June 11, 2007

Searching for the Time That Went By so Fast


Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full

Time has not been kind to Paul McCartney. Once the Beatles, for which Paul was the cute one (or so my mom would have me believe) were referred to as that band McCartney was in before Wings. Not only was he above John Lennon in the pecking order of the band, Lennon was actually third in the post-Beatles work. That was until he was shot to death and all that changed. People began to remember the Beatles again and are to this day widely regarded as the greatest band ever and Lennon is now considered the musical mastermind behind the group. And in the almost thirty since Lennon’s death, McCartney hasn’t had a legitimate hit aside when dueting with other artist such as Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. What’s worse is now he is mostly known these days as the future ex-husband to a one-legged reality star.

But the lack of hits weren’t because of a lack of trying as he has released eleven albums since leaving Wings. The twelfth being the newly released Memory Almost Full, the first on the new Starbucks Hear Music label after leaving his longtime label EMI. The album comes two years after the critically acclaimed, and publicly ignored, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. But the man behind that album, Nigel Godrich, best know for producing Radiohead, didn’t return for this go around.

Memory Almost Full starts off with the very spry ditty Dance Tonight that relies heavy on a mandolin and yet still will give you the urge to follow the song’s direction, even if you are listening to it during the day. The rest of the album, despite being listenable, comes off as derivatives of his former self. It’s hard to listen to the dark and haunting Mr. Bellamy and not think of Eleanor Rigby. McCartney is much better when he tries to create something new much with Dance Tonight. Only Mother Knows is a driving rocker that gets the job done (but doesn’t nearly rock as much as Live and Let Die).

Song to Download - Dance Tonight

Memory Almost Full gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.



6 comments:

  1. No legitimate hits??? How can you forget "Spies Like Us"??? LOL I loved that song ... but I was in sixth grade so perhaps my taste wasn't all that refined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's sad, I did a little research to make sure the no legitimate hits was correct and Spies Like Us was he second highest charting post-Wings song after No More Lonely Nights.

    Now I do remember Spies Like Us being a great movie (I'll have to look for that in the bargin bin the nest time I'm at Best Buy), but the song? Not so much. I wonder if the video is on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please forgive this off topic comment. Scooter, do you think sometime you could post links with your favorite mashups? I noticed Mashup town listed but I wouldn't even know where to begin to find the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I sent an e-mail to what I think is you. If you don't get it shoot me an e-mail (found on my profile page) and I'll resend it to your right e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, well my my e-mail was sent back to me so if you want an answer please e-mail me.

    ReplyDelete