Sunday, July 15, 2007

Lyrics Quiz: Live Earth


Two years ago today was the very first Lyrics Quiz I ever had here at the 9th Green. Actually it was two years and five days ago as the first quiz took place on the tenth before it moved to its regular spot on the fifteenth of each month. That very first quiz was taken from artist that performed during the Live 8 concerts and it is only apropos that on the anniversary of the Lyrics Quiz I would dedicate this month to another charity event, Live Earth. Certainly we can argue whether these concerts did any good but one thing I’m sure we can all agree on is that there was plenty of great music. So as customary of any Lyrics Quiz, please post your guesses, title and artist, in the comment section (or e-mail me) and if you are correct I will unbold the lyric and give you credit. Bonus points to anyone who guesses to the artist(s) who preformed the song at Live Earth if not done by the original artist. The Lyrics Quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please do not use anything besides your own meandering mind to help you up with the answers. Now onto the Lyrics Quiz:

Hints:
17. This artist said at Live Earth that he was no longer waiting for change.
21. This band touch on global warning with their latest album's cover art.

1. People are lonely and only animals with too many tools that can build all the junk that we sell sometimes it makes you want to yell. (The Horizon Has Been Defeated - Jack Johnson; guessed by Slaygal1981)
2. Now I’m towing my car, there’s a hole in the roof. My possessions are causing me suspicion but there’s no proof. (Don't Dream it's Over - Crowded House; guessed by Monique)
3. There’s no alibi ‘cause I’ve drawn regret from the truth of a thousand lies. (What I've Done - Linkin Park; guessed by Slaygal1981)
4. We must engage and rearrange and turn this planet back to one. (Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz; guessed by Monique)
5. There’s too many men, too many people making too many problems, and not much love to go round. (Land of Confusion - Genesis; guessed by Monique)
6. Forget what we're told before we get too old. Show me a garden that's bursting into life. (Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol; guessed by Slaygal1981)
7. Sunday all the lights of London shining, sky is fading red to blue. (Babylon - David Gray; guessed by Slaygal1981)
8. And so it is, just like you said it should be. We’ll both forget the breeze. Most of the time. (The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice; guessed by Slaygal1981)
9. This ain’t a movie no. No fairy tale conclusion ya’ll. It gets more confusing everyday. (Ordinary People - John Legend; guessed by Slaygal1981)
10. Papers in the roadside tell of suffering and greed. Here today, forgot tomorrow. (Ordinary World - Duran Duran; guessed by Slaygal1981)
11. To get there quick, by street but not the freeway, turn that trick to make a little leeway. (By the Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers; guessed by Slaygal1981)
12. Blue as the sky, sunburnt and lonely. Sipping tea in the bar by the roadside. (Put Your Records On - Corrine Bailey Rae; guessed by Slaygal1981)
13. Trust I seek and I find in you every day for us something new. Open mind for a different view. (Nothing Else Matters - Metalica; guessed by Slaygal1981)
14. The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin’. (Big Bottom - Spinal Tap; guessed by Slaygal1981)
15. Too sweet to be sour too nice to be mean. On the tough guy style I'm not too keen. To try to change the world I will plot and scheme. (Intergalatic - Beastie Boys; guessed by Slaygal1981)
16. I’m a new day rising. I’m a brand new sky to hang the stars upon tonight. (Times Like These - Foo Fighters; guessed by Slaygal1981)
17. Now we see everything that's going wrong with the world and those who lead it.
18. Some people live for the fortune. Some people live just for the fame. Some people live for the power, yeah. Some people live just to play the game. (If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys; guessed by Slaygal1981)
19. I live with my justice and I live with my greedy need. I live with no mercy and I live with my frenzied feeding. I live with my hatred and I live with my jealousy. I live with the notion that I don’t need anyone but me. (Don't Drink the Water - Dave Matthews Band; guessed by Slaygal1981)
20. To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers. To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here. (Jesus Walks - Kanye West; guessed by Slaygal1981)
21. And what do you want? I want to change. And what have you got, when you feel the same?
22. Walked out this morning, don’t believe what I saw. A hundred billion bottles washed up on the shore. (Message in a Bottle - The Police; guessed by Monique)
23. I see skies of blue and clouds of white. (What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong; Bonus - Paulo Nutini; guessed by Slaygal1981)
24. Where did all the blue skies go? Poison is the wind that blows from the north and south and east. (Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye; Bonus - Alicia Keys; Corrine Bailey Rae and John Legend; guessed by Slaygal1981)
25. War, children, it's just a shot away. (Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones; Bonus - Keith Urban and Alicia Keys; guessed by Slaygal1981)


There have been over 500 different lyrics and more than 80 different participants in the past two year. And after twenty-four months, here is the leader board in term of all-time points (and of course check out the Winners List on the side board).

Slaygal1981 - 67
Angie - 51
Dara - 44
Tony - 36
Sha Shinizzle - 32

So be sure to be back every fifteenth of the month (I suggest subscribing to my feed) and maybe you will be up there by the third anniversary.

12 comments:

  1. we were wondering what the Lyrics were to Blinded by the Light*

    did Springsteen write that or Manfred Mann??

    ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Springsteen wrote it. As for the lyrics, try google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 - Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
    4 - Are You Gonna Go My Way? by Lenny Kravitz
    5 - Land of Confusion by Genesis
    22 - Message in a Bottle by the Police

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The Horizon Has Been Defeated by Jack Johnson
    3. What I've Done by Linkin Park
    6. Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
    7. Babylon by David Gray
    8. The Daughter's Blower by Damien Rice
    9. Ordinary People by John Legend
    10. Ordinary World by Duran Duran
    11. By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12. Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae
    13. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
    14. Big Bottom by Spinal Tap (wasn't this also recently on the World Series of Pop Culture)
    15. Intergallactic by Beastie Boys
    16. Times Like These by Foo Fighters

    ReplyDelete
  6. 18. If I Ain't Got You by Alicia Keys
    19. Don't Drink The Water - Dave Matthews Band
    20. Jesus Walks by Kanye West

    ReplyDelete
  7. 23. What A Wonderful World performed by Paolo Nutini
    24. Mercy, Mercy Me by Marviv Gaye
    performed by Alicia Keys; and John Legend and Corrine Bailey Rae

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't watch the World Series of Pop Culture because the show is a complete and utter sham if they don't have me in the compitition. I would win the whole thing without any teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you do the online test? I did and was bummed that I didn't pass. But the trivia whore in me can't help but watch. If I had any trivia savvy friends I so would have formed a team.

    23. What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong performed by Paolo Nutini

    ReplyDelete
  10. 25. Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones performed by Keith Urban and Alicia Keys

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn'y try the online test because it would be beneath me. VH1 should just award me a spot (as well as the subsiquint cheesy dating show afterwards).

    So I don't watch it because I would just get upset on how good I would do so I am content with just destroying friends and family at trivial pursuit.

    ReplyDelete