Thursday, January 10, 2008

I Want My Music Television vol. XIV


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of YouTube. I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to YouTube where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya) - Ashlee Simpson




Hopefully this song isn’t a bad omen for 2008 because it really isn’t the best way to start of the New Year with the mannequin that Ashlee Simpson has become. But then again, I cannot imagine how anyone could make a song worth than this aside from Ashlee herself. It just shows you how messed up the music business is when they are pushing a reputed lip-syncer down our throats again even after her last album bombed as bad as her Saturday Night Live performance. As for the video, if I were Salvator Dail, I would sue.


Us Placers - CRS



Now onto some actual good music. This song appeared on Kanye West’s mixtape last year and even though it is doubtful we will get an actual album from CRS anytime soon, this Thom York sampled track definitely wets the palette and make me reminisce about the early nineties when there actual great rap crews, not just one decent rapper and his crappy friends that populate the rap landscape this decade.


Pumpkin Soup - Kate Nash



In a story I broke yesterday, Kate Nash is the next big thing and here is the best song off her new album (see: You Said I Must Eat So Many Lemons ‘cause I Am So Bitter). Just don’t ask me what is with the creepy human sized cats.


Gravedigger - Willie Nelson



Yes this is Willie Nelson covering Dave Matthews and somehow Willie made it sound creepier than the original.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the CRS video. I really like how they didn't ignore Thom Yorke's part in the song

    Ahhh...the early 90's of rap!

    I wonder if they're paying INXS royalties for flipping the signs like in their "Need You Tonight/Mediate" video.

    To me, Kate Nash sounds more like Joss Stone than she does Lilly Allen or Amy Winehouse. This song doesn't excite me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realize that INXS cribbed the flipping signs thing from Bob Dylan in Subterranean Homesick Blues right?

    The Nash-Allen/Winehouse compairison isn't about the sound of the voice (even though Stone's is much more polished than Nash's) but what they have to say and the tone of the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete