Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Want My Music Television vol. XXIV


There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I though I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form so here they are courtesy of YouTube. I advise you to watch them before you read my reviews if you don’t want me to spoil things. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available, if not the link goes to YouTube where you can watch the video in full screen). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


>The Best Damn Thing - Avril Lavigne



If revoking NAFTA means an end to Avril Lavigne’s pink and punk era comes to an end here in America I am all for it. It was moderately cute circa Girlfriend, but she has gone way over the line of tolerability with this video.


I’m Your - Jason Mraz



Jason Mraz is one of those artist that makes some crappy music, yet every once in a while can create a completely great track. I’m Yours is one of the latter in that is just a quintessential springtime song. And if you have time you really want to hunt down the mash-up How Six Songs Collide that landed at number 14 of the Best Mash Up’s of 2007 list.


Strange Times - The Black Keys



If I am not mistaken I think I was an orientation instructor back in college for one half of The Black Keys (and while I am name dropping I routinely hit on a future Playmate of the Month while working at the Recreation Center in college too). Despite the connection, I have never checked out any of the group’s album even though I have been meaning to for years now. Hopefully the great laser tag themed video (hey, we need a way to fulfill our paintball urges when there is too much snow on the ground) will finally get me around to that.


Mercy - Duffy



For those of you that like the retro stylings of Amy Winehouse but could do without the course language and tabloid antics, give a listen to Duffy (not to be confused with the MTV VJ of the nineties) who does the retro vibe much closer to the sixties girl groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment