Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Impressions: Friday Night Lights 3.x


The Cast of Friday Night Lights

Someone once said absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I’m guessing whoever said that didn’t have to wait for almost a year for new a new episode of Friday Night Lights. After a couple months without a trip to Dillon, fonder became frustrated quickly. And to add insult to injury, there was the fact that some people got to see the premiere four months ago thanks to DirecTV.

But it was well worth the wait even if there were a few “huh, did I miss something?” moments like Mrs. Taylor is the new principle? Seriously? Lyla and Saresen have been in the same grade the whole time making Lyla a Varsity cheerleader as a sophomore? And then there were the glossed over reveals like Lyla dumping Jesus for Riggins? And the completely ignored like Street’s miracle baby.

But really none of that bothered me because I was distracted by all the goodness that started with opening unmistakable earthly guitar licks (FNL is the best scored show ever in the history of television) and scenes like the Riggins brothers powwow in a strip club and subsequent proposal, Momma Smash, Landry at the Collette house, Tyra telling off the new guidance teacher (since when was it so hard to get into a State college: at one point Ohio State University had a 100% acceptance rate), the status of Tyra and Landry’s relationship, and surely I am forgetting something else.

The show’s strength is how emotions can change on a dime which was best on display during the racquetball scene that starts off as whimsically enough with Smash mentioning it is the whitest sport ever created (which I can attest to as I have an intramural racquetball championship under my belt), but at a drop of a dime Coach lays into Smash for giving up (Mrs. Taylor had her own scene with Tyra earlier which parallels each struggle to get out of Dillon).

Verdict: Last year Friday Night Lights ended the season number one of my Best Television Shows of 2007-08 list and after one episode it is hard to think of any show that will come close to knocking the show off its pedestal. You can and should catch Friday Night Lights at 9:00 on Fridays. You can also stream episodes at NBC.com or download Friday Night Nights on iTunes or Amazon Video on Demand (see below). And you can still get the first two seasons for dirt cheap.



2 comments:

  1. THIS is why I love you, Scooter!

    Did Riggins get held back? Whatever. Would someone please tell him to wash his damn hair? That greasy look is SO two years ago for him.

    I was glad to see that Buddy is still as smarmy as ever making my love-to-hate him feelings stay strong and true.

    My favorite line was when Coach Taylor's first offspring said, "...all the miles are to church so it's a...Christian car." lol

    Brother Riggins' proposal was hilarious and I was just saying 'You go, girl!" as Tyra told off that creepy counselor.

    At this point I hate the freshman quarterback's dad and I was just laughing all through the whole jumbotron thing.

    Mrs. Coach Principal Taylor is going to ruffle MANY feathers over that!

    Landry is still as funny as ever and I hope he gets some kind of story (but not a murder!).

    I love this show so much.

    Welcome back Dillon Panthers! I haven't forgotten you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first two season they were pretty ambigious about each charachter's age, but I am convinced that Riggins is a fifth year senior. If not sixth. I don't see anyone with his work ethic being the starting fullback his sophmore year. And I would have to go back and watch the first season, but I think they implied he was a returning starter the first season too. And you don't become the school's ladies' man after one start (see Saresen).

    As for Landry, I can't wait to see how his relationship with Tyra, or lack of one, plays out.

    ReplyDelete