Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I’m Singing Why Can’t I Stay Like This?


Fortress 'round My Heart - Ida Maria

If they gave away awards for best song titles, Ida Maria would land one for I Like You So Much Better When You’re Naked. And that isn’t even the best lyric in the song as that sentiment is followed up by the line, “I like me so much better when you’re naked.” You won’t be able to resist chanting along when her band chimes in at the end of the song.

The rest of the Norwegians debut album Fortress ‘round My Heart is garage rock nirvana filled with quick and to the point songs (only one song goes past three and a half minutes) with power pop chords that are allowed to fuzz out; no pro tools or auto tune here as Maria has no problem letting her voice crack throughout the songs. The mood id set right from the opening with Oh My God. Another standout is the bouncy Louie which may or may not be a shout out to the original garage band song..

The drawback for Fortress ‘round My Heart is a lack of diversity; most songs follow the same template. And when she does deviate, slow songs like Keep Me Warm just don’t sound right for her voice until they turn up the guitars, just to turn down the volume in time for the next verse. And at a half an hour that garage rock theme can get tired during repeat listening. Not that the phrase I Like You so Much Better When You’re Naked will ever get tired saying.

Song to Download – I Like You So Much Better When You’re Naked

Fortress ‘round My Heart gets a Terror Alert Level: Elevated [YELLOW] on my Terror Alert Scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment