Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Don't Call it a Comeback vol. V: The Cardigans


It seems like once a week I am listening to my iTunes library and I hear a song that makes me go, this artist really needs a comeback. So I thought I would start a new feature here on the 9th Green highlighting an artist that really needs to reenter the public consciousness. The only criterion is that the artist hasn’t had a legitimate hit in over a decade.

Due for a Comeback: The Cardigans

Biggest Hit: Lovefool



Last Hit: My Favorite Game (1996)

Where Are They Now: Though ignored stateside for most of the last decade, the band’s last three albums went to number one in their native Sweden as they have recorded off and on since breaking here. Lead singer Nina Persson has released two solo albums, the last in 2009. The band has been on a break since 2007.

Why the World Needs a The Cardigans Comeback: Because bubblegum pop has been unbearably bad for the past decade. Ironically I didn’t care for that fluffy sound for the first thirty seconds I heard Lovefool when it came on the work radio station. But that changed quickly when a moderately attracted co-worker of mine (that I would have a very short fling with later until she decided to become a hippy) shrieked with joy over how she loved the song. If Lovefool was you first experience with the band, I recommend you go and hunt down Carnival (it should be in the Key Tracks, but it is currently missing from Amazon MP3, but it is on iTunes). But The Cardigans were bubblegum pop with an extra bit of bite to it (they were heavy metal fans who covered Iron Man), just listen to the extra crunch in Been It. After their breakout album in America filled with sugary goodness, the band took a turn for the dark for their follow up which loss them there bubblegum fans ironically just at a time when bubblegum exploded on the radio with the Spice Girls and Britney Spears. It is a shame Gran Turismo lost the band some fans because it was still worth a listen and My Favorite Game deserved to be as big as Lovefool. And just in case their sound did not change drastic enough between those two albums, the next one, Long Gone Before Daylight, had a country tinge to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment