Thursday, October 06, 2011

Previewing Brain Games


David Copperfield on Brain Games

Recently I have been singing So What'cha Want by the Beastie Boys a lot because every time I misplace something or enter a room and forgot why I went there I sing to myself, “I think I’m losing my mind this time, this time I’m losing my mind. That’s right…” And it seems the times I break out the song are doubling every year since leaving college. My memory has gotten so bad I recently got called out by a neighbor who realized that I called everyone by their last names so I would only have to learn one name instead of two to six names.

The fact that I am losing my mind is what makes the three hour block of Brain Games on the National Geographic Channel so interesting to me. The special, if I remember correctly, keep in mind I watched a screener last weekend (which was unfortunately sent along with a Rubik’s Cube which was the bane of my existence because it was the one puzzle I could never conquer and now I have a new one to mock me), shows the inter working of the brain and explains why some of us have these senior moments even if we are decades away from collecting social security and some steps to lower the amount we have. All three special are narrated by Neil Patrick Harris.

The first hour, Pay Attention! brings in David Copperfield and other illusionists to explain just how you can be a victim of a pick pocket even when they are talking to you while taking the scarf off your neck and putting it around their without you even noticing. And if you have ever driven with anyone who insists to talk on the phone while driving, or actually do it yourself, you and they need to watch this special because anyone who sees the segment on multitasking will never do that again and may even make you write to your politicians to get it outlawed in your area if it is not already.

The second hour is entitled Watch This! and explains all the optical illusions that have amused you for years. Not only with you “watch this” using your eyes, during this hour you will even meet a blind man who “sees” using sonar and teaches you how to do it yourself. Though much like learning a new language, it is much easier to learn if you are younger. I personally do not have the patience even though my eyes seem to be going faster than my mind.

The last special is right up my alley: Remember This! And who better to guide us through the episode than a mental athlete. No, seriously, there is such a thing and the dude is a world champion who can memorize the order of an entire deck of cards. He even gives me a good tip at remembering people’s names which I will have to break out at next year’s block party. During this episode we also follow a crime to see just how reliable eye-witness testimony is, and let me spoil the outcome a little bit by saying if I ever find myself wrongfully accused for a crime I didn’t commit, I am bringing in this episode as exhibit A.

Brain Games is one of those educational shows that is actually entraining and can be watch by the entire family, and watching it in a group actually makes it more fun. And as the title suggests, each special has games you can play along with at home with your television to see just how well you pay attention and tests your memory. I highly recommend recording the show so you can go back and watch certain scenes because some tricks and illusions are worth rewatching. And who knows, after watching you and I will be singing less Beastie Boys in the future.

Brain Games airs Sunday at 8:00 on the National Geographic Channel. Check out a preview below with the previously mentioned David Copperfield.

Brain Games! With David Copperfield


No comments:

Post a Comment