Monday, June 24, 2013

I Want My Music Television: 6/24/13



There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.

Royals - Lorde


Just last week during my Summer Music Preview I was lamenting the lack of great music this and, boom, the next day Lorde pops up while listening to my library. Supposedly I downloaded this in March and played it once already, but I guess it took a second listen to really get it. The song along with the video reminds me of something that would have been a big Buzzworthy hit during the alternative craze of the mid nineties. Over the weekend I made some slightly hyperbolic statements: that not only is it the best song of the year so far, but it is the best anti-materialistic song since Ante Up, the best song by a teenager since Christina Aguilera, and the greatest song ever to come out of New Zealand. I should probably walk back on a couple of those, Get Lucky is still probably the best song of the year, Royals is probably only the best song by a teenage since Taylor Swift’s Our Song, and the Naked and the Famous could make a claim for greatest song ever to come out of New Zealand with Young Blood. But I fully stand by Royals being the best anti- materialistic song since Ante Up. Nonetheless, this is a great song, the kind of song Lana Del Rey only wishes she could make. And the outro of the video is getting ready for her next single Tennis Courts which is almost as good.


Paper Doll – John Mayer


Just a year ago John Mayer released his folk epic Born and Raised but will already have a new album out fifteen months later. I guess he spent a lot of downtime during his voice issues writing. Everyone has already declared this song about a naïve former flame to be pointed at Taylor Swift who eviscerated Mayer in her song Dear John. If correct, Mayer wins this round mostly because Dear John ranks as one of Swift’s worst song ever (do not worry Taylor, your Joe Jonas song was way better than his about you) and Paper Doll is already better than anything on his last album. But enough about the song for now, the chick in this video really creeps me out.


A Tattered Line of String - The Postal Service


The Postal Service recently their ten year anniversary of their only album and this is one of only two new songs. I still prefer when Ben Gibbard’s lyrics set to a more organic background. But the music video is a great idea.


U Should Know Better - Robyn featuring Snoop Dogg


I am already on record saying that kids as the artists in music videos is always entertaining, but Robyn flipped that concept on its head by casting a kid of an opposite gender to play her which is pretty awesome. I do not know about the female Snoop Dogg though.

No comments:

Post a Comment