Thursday, September 05, 2013

I Want My Music Television: 9/5/13




There have been a couple of videos that have caught my eye lately so I thought I’d give them some love since the death of Musical Television left a void for a forum on the art form. If you are interested in buying the video through iTunes, click the title link (where available). If you are interested in buying the song, look for a link in the analysis.


Holy Grail – Jay-Z featuring Justin Timberlake


Holy Grail was a perfect opening track for Magna Carter because it set you up for what was about to come: utter disappointment (see my review: Got Me Feeling Like Brody in Homeland). Not surprisingly Jay-Z tinkered with the song for the video, but was it wise to take the Kurt Cobain verse and move it up to the very beginning? Probably not.


Give It 2 U [Remix] - Robin Thicke featuring Kendrick Lamar and 2 Chainz


I did not have much of a problem when Robin Thicke blatently ripped off Got to Give It Up, Pt. 1, but how dare he co-opt Sir Mix-a-Lot’s giant posterior from his Baby Got Back video? That is unforgivable.


Bitter Rivals – Sleigh Bells


That opening had me worried that the Sleigh Bells were going full blown pop (complete with multi-colored wigs) on their upcoming album but quickly went back to their fuzzed out indie pop. Although the chorus ended up being the cleanest thing the duo has ever done. This is an interesting teaser to the album.


Garden’s Heart – Natasha Khan and Jon Hopkins


Natasha Khan is essentially Bat for Lashes and I am not sure why she is using her name here or who Jon Hopkins is but apparently this song is for the upcoming movie How I Live Now. I do not know anything about the movie aside that it apparently stars the girl from Atonement, but if these are actual scenes from the movie, that bathroom scene is freaking and may be worth the rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment