I have gotten a plethora of cool press releases have been flooding my inbox recently that you may find interesting. This post will include blurbs on 12 Monkeys, VH1 + Papa John’s® Super Bowl Blitz: A Concert for the Troops, Purina Pro Plan Incredible Dog Challenge National Finals, Bob Marley, The Slap, King of the Nerds, Saturday Night Live, Wild Australia, as well as Syfy and Showtime news.
- Watch the first 9 minutes of the new Syfy time travel show, 12 Monkeys! Tune-In for the series premiere tonight at 9:00 followed by a new season of Helix.
- VH1 announced its official kickoff to Super Bowl weekend with a special concert salute to the armed forces at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, AZ. This year VH1 and Papa John’s® are teaming up to bring Fall Out Boy and Charli XCX to headline the VH1 + Papa John’s® Super Bowl Blitz: A Concert for the Troops with host Nick Lachey. The concert will kick off live on Friday, January 30th at 9:00 on VH1.
- The Purina Pro Plan Incredible Dog Challenge National Finals will be airing nationally on Saturday, January 17 from 3:00-4:00pm on NBC. This year’s broadcast features Inde, a 2-year-old Belgian Malinois, breaking the Diving Dog World Record with a jump of 33 feet 10 inches!!!
- Bob Marley’s 70th birthday year (2015) will include a variety of releases and events to commemorate the legend, his work and iconic impact. Over the course of the year, his legacy will be remembered by new releases of rare and unreleased material as well as fan favorite deluxe editions of his most memorable work. The first release will be available on February 17. Bob Marley and the Wailers – Easy Skanking in Boston '78, features two historic live shows from Boston’s Music Hall, June 8, 1978. This new and unreleased performance is from the Marley family giving unprecedented access for the first time to their personal material from their private collections and their vaults. The album will be available on blu-ray/cd combo pack as well as dvd/cd and standalone cd versions. Additional newly created animated material will also be a part of this release, marking the first time the family has incorporated this technology into any official Marley releases.
- The Slap premieres February 12 at 8:00, part of the all-new NBC Thursday night.
- As nerds everywhere eagerly await the return of the ultimate geeky competition series King of the Nerds, TBS and Twitch are teaming up for a special sneak preview event to be held at Twitch's San Francisco headquarters on Friday, Jan. 16. King of the Nerds hosts and executive producers Curtis Armstrong and Robert Carradine will be on-hand for the event, which will feature a sneak peek screening of the first episode of season 3 and a chat session with the hosts to take place live on Twitch. Top Twitch influencers Marcus "djWHEAT" Graham and Jon Carnage are set to moderate the event, which will mark Twitch's first-ever live television viewing party. Fans will be able to watch the fun live on Twitch.tv/twitch on today, at 6:00.
- VH1 Classic celebrates the 40th anniversary of the longest-running sketch comedy show in history by bringing fans 40 years of SNL in one place: The SNL Rewind: 2015 – 1975 Mega-Marathon beginning Wednesday, January 28th and wrapping on Sunday, February 15th. Fans can relive the best moments (or binge on all the ones you missed) of SNL history with 19 days of back-to-back SNL episodes in this 433-hour SNL marathon -- the longest ever mounted for a single series on television ever.
- his year, when the weather is too cold to bare, grab the kids and park yourselves in your family room for an amazing once-in-a-lifetime getaway to sunny Wild Australia premiering Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015, at 9:00 on Nat Geo WILD. Warm beaches, gorgeous rain forests and deserts that are surprisingly full of life: this is the Australia you haven’t seen. Nat Geo WILD features a four-hour journey across the continent to reveal not only the beauty of the land, but also the amazing wildlife that makes Australia a heaven for animal lovers.
- Syfy today announced it is developing a one-hour drama series about a futuristic prison society, 51st State, from Fox 21 Television Studios. Oscar nominee Craig Borten (Dallas Buyers Club), who sold the pitch to Syfy, will write the pilot. Peter Chernin (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), Katherine Pope (New Girl) and Borten will serve as executive producers. As 51st State unfolds, the United States, confronting a prison population stretched to the limit, purchases Greenland and converts it into a frontier prison colony with male and female convicts incarcerated together. Promised conditional freedom, the inmates are driven to the edge of their humanity when that promise, along with others, is broken. Struggling to seize control and exact revenge, reluctant heroes emerge -- but what exactly are they fighting for?
- Syfy announced yesterday that Jim Uhls (Fight Club, Semper Fi, Jumper) has signed on to adapt Robert Charles Wilson’s Hugo Award novel, Spin, into a six hour miniseries. The widely acclaimed novel centers on a young scientist trying to save humanity from the impending apocalypse of a mysterious, impenetrable cloud that has enveloped the entire Earth, blacking out the stars.
- Syfy and The Asylum yesterday announced that the original Sharknado survivors will return for the most epic shark attack yet! Ian Ziering and Tara Reid will reunite for the global pop culture sensation Sharknado 3, reprising their roles as Fin and April, respectively.
- Here are some headlines coming out of Showtime this week:
Golden Globe® winner KYLE MACLACHLAN RETURNS AS FBI AGENT DALE COOPER ON TWIN PEAKS ON SHOWTIME®
SHOWTIME® GETS “HAPPYISH” ON APRIL 26
HIT SHOWTIME® COMEDY SERIES SHAMELESS GETS SIXTH SEASON PICK-UP
THE FINAL SEASON OF NURSE JACKIE AND THE RETURN OF HIT SERIES PENNY DREADFUL TO DEBUT THIS SPRING ON SHOWTIME®
RAPPER/ACTOR COLSON BAKER (AKA MACHINE GUN KELLY) ROUNDS OUT THE CAST OF THE NEW SHOWTIME® PILOT ROADIES