Friday, February 10, 2017
I have gotten a plethora of cool press releases have been flooding my inbox recently that you may find interesting. This post will include blurbs on Angie Tribeca, Showtime, After Spring, Big Cat Week, Disgraced, Conan Without Borders: Made in Mexico, FilmStruck, and Mama's Family.
- The world called, and Angie has answered with the most magnificent, masterful and moving third season of TBS's Angie Tribeca yet. Rashida Jones, Hayes MacArthur, Jere Burns, Deon Cole, Andrée Vermeulen and Jagger will be back when the powerful police drama returns Monday, April 10, at 10:30, exclusively on TBS, a division of Turner.
- Showtime will be available to more than 73 million households during a Free Preview Weekend from Friday, February 17 through Monday, February 20. Viewers nationwide will be able to sample the network’s award-winning programming on Showtime, SHOWTIME ON DEMAND®, SHOWTIME ANYTIME® and via select distributors' TV Everywhere portals. The Free Preview Weekend will include the season two premiere of the powerful drama series Billions, starring Oscar® nominee and Emmy® and Golden Globe® winner Paul Giamatti and Emmy and Golden Globe winner Damian Lewis. Additionally, viewers will be able to sample new episodes of the Emmy-winning drama series HOMELAND, along with a live SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING event, feature films and compelling documentary programming.
- Starz announced this week the critically-acclaimed documentary After Spring, executive produced by Jon Stewart and Chris McShane and directed/produced by Steph Ching and Ellen Martinez, will make its national television debut on Friday, February 10 at 9:00 exclusively on STARZ. The documentary will be made available for STARZ subscribers on the STARZ app and STARZ ON DEMAND today, Friday, February 3, one week prior to the television premiere. he outstanding documentary feature film tells the heartbreaking and inspiring personal stories of Syrian refugees and aid workers at the Zaatari Refugee Camp, home to 80,000 people and now considered the fourth largest city in Jordan. More than 50 percent of the camp’s population is under 18 years old and over 5,000 babies have been born in the camp since it opened in July 2012. The Syrian conflict has displaced more than 10 million people, according to the United Nations.
- For millions of years, big cats have stood atop the food chain as treasured icons of the wild. We have a deep, ancient connection with these revered predators. We admire them; we fear them; and now, we need to fight for them. Today, big cats such as lions, cheetahs, leopards and cougars are in decline across the globe. Nat Geo WILD’s seventh annual Big Cat Week has turned its lens on these majestic animals to shine a light on their struggle and to remind viewers of their importance in the world. Big Cat Week premieres Monday, Feb. 20, at 9:00 on Nat Geo WILD
- This week, Showtime Networks Inc. announced the feature-length documentary Disgraced, which recounts the shocking murder of Baylor University men’s basketball star Patrick Dennehy as well as an attempted cover-up of NCAA rule violations. The film, which will make its world premiere at the 2017 South By Southwest film festival next month, will premiere on Showtime on March 31 at 9:00.
- Star Wars: Rouge One star Diego Luna and former Mexican President Vincente Fox will join Conan O'Brien during the late-night host's newest primetime special, Conan Without Borders: Made in Mexico. Shot on location in Mexico City, the hour-long special is set to premiere Wednesday, March 1, at 10:00, exclusively on TBS.
- FilmStruck, the streaming movie service for film aficionados, is now available on Google Chromecast second generation and Chromecast Ultra devices. Continuing its rapid platform expansion, the streaming service will also launch on Roku, Playstation 4 and Xbox One in the coming months. FilmStruck, featuring the largest streaming library of contemporary and classic arthouse, indie, foreign and cult films and the exclusive streaming home to the Criterion Collection, is available for streaming on Apple TV 4th generation devices, Amazon Fire TV, web, iOS and Android devices.
- Everyone's favorite indelible and smart alecky small-town matriarch is back - and, she's brought her whole crazy family with her! After breaking out from "The Family" sketches on "The Carol Burnett Show," Thelma "Mama" Harper's home-spun humor earned its own well-loved sitcom which ran for six knee-slapping seasons. Set in the fictional city of Raytown, MAMA'S FAMILY revolves around the eye-opening escapades of the Harper clan, headed by Mama Harper, who does not suffer fools gladly. In fact, she makes everybody suffer a little with her patented snappy retorts that truly put the "diss" in dysfunction. Now, for the first time, home audiences can revel in the very best episodes of this outlandish family comedy with Mama's Family: The Mama's Family Favorites Collection. Street Date: March 7, 2017
- Some upcoming Showtime premiere dates:
Billions: Sunday, February 19 at 10:00
Guerrilla: Sunday, April 16 at 9:00
Twin Peaks: Sunday May 21 at 9:00
I'm Dying Up Here: Sunday, June 4 at 10:00
Ray Donovan: Summer
American Jihad: Saturday, March 11 at 9:00
Beach Boys: Making of Pet Sounds: Apri
More Than T: June
Becoming Cary Grant: TBD
Nick Cannon: Stand Up. Don't Shoot: Friday, Febuary 10 at 9:00
SXSW Comedy with Natasha Leggero Part Two: Friday, March 17 at 10;00
Steve Byrne: Tell the Damn Joke: April
Al Madrigal: Shrimpin' Ain't Easy: Friday May 5 at 9:00
Andrew Santino: Home Field Advantage: Friday, June 2 at 9:00
Erik Griffin: The Ugly Truth: Friday, July 7 at 9:00
Shobox: The New Generation: Friday, February 10 at 10:00
Showtime Championship Boxing: Broner vs. Granados: Saturday, Febuary 18 at 9:00
Shobox: The New Generation: Fridy, February 24 at 10:00
Prison Fighters: 5 Rounds to Freedom: Friday, February 24 at 8:30
Monday, February 06, 2017
Ed Sheeran really is going all in on his music videos for the new album. Except Maroon 5 recently did their own boxing themed music video and that one featured Lyla Garrity. Oh Lyla Garrity, why are you no longer on my television every week in this age of too much TV? She could at least be a supervillain on Supergirl. Oh wait, plot twist, it is not a boxing video, but a sumo wrestler video, okay, that was kind of funny.
My first music video round up of 2017 was dedicated to On + Off - Maggie Rogers after two strong debut song and she gets the trifecta with her third single off her upcoming EP. Now I am always do for a one take music video but the close up where they switch her pants was kind of long and mostly seemed unnecessary. And why are you sining into an industrial fan? And the water bottle curls?.
Up to this point Zara Larsson has been releasing mindless EDM-pop that is easily skippable, but is the first song of hers that perked up my ears thanks to the vaguely nineties feel in the sound and video. Okay so the song mostly rips off Ariana Grande’s The Way (which literally sampled nineties track Still Not a Player) complete with an unnecessary rap verse but I guess it is better than being just another mindless EDM pop song.
Too soon Father John Misty, too soon.
Sunday, February 05, 2017
Mercy Street: Oh no, Ramona Flowers may have Typhoid? They better not kill her off, she is basically the main reason I watch.
You can download Mercy Street on iTunes.
Homeland: I was going to scoff at the new president keeping Dar on at the CIA but Trump just announced that James Comie was going to continue to lead the FBI so I guess that is one of the more probable plot twists on the show. How depressing that the plots on Homeland have become more believable than real life? And of course Dar tapped the president, how long until he lets Saul in on this information? And what exactly is Saul doing?
The Affair: So after the big reveal last week that Noah stabbed himself, this week he is now in post coital bliss with Juliette in Paris like nothing happened. Then we get o see her deal with her life even though I do not think we have seen her since the second or third episode. Meh. As usually, Noah’s act was much better especially running inti Furcat. Too bad they did not have a time to work in an episode that featured Furcat’s perspective. And what was so bizarre about this episode was after such a bizarre season, the finale was kind of just normal people doing normal things. Then no Cole or Allison and I am not entirely sure what exactly their purpose were this season.
Conviction: Never a good idea to wait until your last to make a good episode. Incompetent first year lawyer Hayes would have been a much better show than what we had been watching.
You can download Conviction on iTunes.
Gotham: I thought we were going to have a repeat from early in season one when Gordon took the Penguin to the docks, and in lei of killing him, said never come back to Gotham, except The Riddler actually did shoot Penguin in the gut. Ouch, I guess not potentially fatal but it s not like he would be the first to ever come back to the dead on this show.
You can download Gotham on iTunes.
Supergirl: Oh wow, second episode in a row when I did not absolutely hate Mon-El. But I still loved the very appropriate frat boy dig.
You can download Supergirl on iTunes.
Lucifer: Wait, so why can the lord of the underworld not allowed to go back and forth freely? Especially leave, he already left once.
You can download Lucifer on iTunes.
Timeless: What the fork?!? Army guy kills the father of his wife’s killer and still does not manage to change the future (or least that we get to see). Why do I know have the feeling the Riddenhouse was involved in her death?
You can download Timeless on iTunes.
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Oh wait, Patton Oswalt also has a twin sister? Where exactly has his characters been anyway, the show needs to work them back into the show more often.
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on iTunes.
The Path: Wait, did she really just drink contaminated pod water?!? If you really want to walk a mile in their shoes, just drink from their tap. And is Steve not in the light because Eddie is the true leader?
You can stream The Path on Hulu.
Emerald City: Wait the Wizard of Oz want Dorthy to kill… Glinda the Good Witch!?!?!? Huh? And when is she actually going to team up with the Tin Man? Shouldn’t that have happened before she arrived at the Emerald City.
You can download Emerald City on iTunes.