Thursday, December 19, 2013
I quietly ended my monthly lyrics quiz earlier this year for last of interest from me and people wanting to participate. I thought I would resurrect it here again at year’s end to highlight some of my favorite lyrics from the past twelve months. You are welcome to guess which songs they belong to in the comment section, both title and artist, and I will give you credit if correct.
1. If you’re still breathing then you’re the lucky one because most of us are breathing through corrupted lungs.
2. I’m kind of over being told to throw my hands up in the air. So there.
3. May you only need the light when you’re burning low. Only miss the sun when it starts to snow. (Let Her Go - All the Little Lights - Passenger; guessed by Kevin)
4. Life’s a game made for everyone and love is the prize. (Wake Me Up - Avicii; guessed by Kevin)
5. The art of MC’ing mixed with da Vinci and MC Ren and I don’t mean Stimpy’s friend. Been public enemy since you thought PE was gym. (Berzerk - Eminem; guessed by Kevin)
6. Mama’s hooked on Mary Kay, brother’s hooked on Mary Jane, daddy’s hooked on Mary two doors down. (Merry Go 'Round - Kacey Musgraves; guessed by pcacala)
7. Irish and Proud, baby, naturally, but you got the luck of a Kennedy. So grab the wheel and keep holding it tight.
8. And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love. Grey clouds roll over the hills bringing darkness from above. But if you close your eyes, does it feel like nothing changed at all?
9. We’ve come too far to give up who we are. So let’s raise the bar and our cups to the stars.
10. Put your record on, let the band play the song all about all about love and believing. Good for you.
11. I’m gonna paint you by numbers and colour you in. If things go right we can frame it and put you on a wall.
12. You’re like a mirror reflecting me. Takes one to know one so take it from me. You’ve been lonely, you’ve been lonely too long. We’ve been lonely, we’ve been lonely too long.
13. I’m in misery where you can seem as old as your omens.
14. I’ve got my ticket for the long way ‘round, two bottles of whiskey for the way. I I sure would like some sweet company.
15. You’re like 22 girls in one and none of them know what they’re running from. Was it just too far to fall?
16. What would Jeromey Romey Romey Rome think?
17. I told you on the day we wed I was gonna love you ‘til I was dead. Made you wait ‘til our wedding night. That’s the first and the last time I’ll wear white.
18. I don’t mind sentimental girls at time. Miss don’t walk away.
19. Come find me know, we’ll hide out. We’ll speak in our secret tongues. Will you come back to my corner? Spent too long alone tonight. Would you come and brighten my corner?
20. It’s a fake, it’s a con. The nature of the road you’re on. Let me see your skeleton well before your life is done.
21. It’s not just all physical. I’m the type who will get oh so critical. So let’s make things physical. I won’t treat you like you’re oh so typical.
22. All I am is a man. I want the world in my hands. I hate the beach but I stand in California with my toes in the sand. (Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood; guessed by pcacala)
23. Tonight’s it’s me and you alone. Won’t make a call, won’t even write a song.
24. And the memories we makde will never be lost, no. And the look on your face we both knew the cost. But the wind, yes the wind keeps howling.
25. What rhymes with hug me?
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
As we wind down the television season, I am going to run down the best music placement of the past twelve months and as an added twist, I am going to do it in Lyrics Quiz form so you have to guess to see the actual list. As usual, place your guesses in the comment (or e-mail me), both artist and song title, and if you are correct I will un-bold the lyric. For fun, feel free to also guess which television shows the song was used on, a couple of the ones on my list even have multiple answers.
1. DC, San Antone and the Liberty Town, Boston and Baton Rouge, Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco, too. Everywhere there's music, real live music, bands with a million styles.
2. There's a hole in what you're saying. I can plainly see you have a lover that's waiting but baby you're right here with me.
3. Same old song. Just a drop of water in an endless sea. All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see.
4. Now she’ don’t even know my name but I think she likes me just the same.
5. You’re all alone and so peaceful until... You fall in love, zing boom. The sky up above, zing boom, is caving in, wow bam.
6. Like vanilla, it’s the finest of the flavors. Gotta see the show, ‘cause then you'll know the vertigo is gonna grow, ‘cause it's so dangerous you’ll have to sign a waiver. (One Week - Barenaked Ladies; guessed by Kevin)
7. I've seen your face before, my friend but I don't know if you know who I am?
8. What a way to make a living. Barely getting by, it’s all taking and no giving. They just use your mind and they never give you credit. It’s enough to drive you crazy if you let it.
9. I met this little girlie, her hair was kinda curly. Went to her house and bust her out, I had to leave real early.
10. Wake up kids, we’ve got the dreamers disease. Age 14 we got you down on your knees. So polite, you're busy still saying please.
11. The next stop that we make will be soon. Tell all the folks in Russia and China too. Don’t you know that it’s time to get on board?
12. Don't go changing to try and please me. You never let me down before. Don’t imagine you’re too familiar, and I don't see you anymore.
13. I’ve been trying to do it right. I’ve been living a lonely life. I’ve been sleeping here instead. (Ho Hey - The Lumineers; guessed by Kevin)
14. In the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky, that’s the place where I trace my bloodline. And it’s there I read on a hillside gravestone.
15. You put your right hand out, give a firm hand-shake. Talk to me about that one big break. Spread your ear-pollution both far and wide. Keep your contributions by your side.
16. One life for yourself and one for your dreams.
17. I don’t like walking around this old and empty house. So hold my hand and walk with me my dead.
18. Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. (Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - The Four Lads; guessed by Kevin)
19. Go tell that long tongue liar, go and tell that midnight rider. Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter.
20. Well it's not far down to paradise, at least's not for meIf the wind is right you can sail away and find tranquility.
21. I’ve been alone with you inside my mind. And in my dreams I’ve kissed your lips a thousand times.
22. I got bodyguards, I got two big cars, that definitely aint the wack. I got a Lincoln Continental and a sunroof Cadillac.
23. My mind’s telling me no. But my body, my body’s telling me yes.
24. Lay a whisper on my pillow. Leave the winter on the ground. I wake up lonely, there's air of silence in the bedroom and all around.
25. Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane. Jane plays with Willi, Willi is happy again. Suki plays with Leo, Sacha plays with Britt. Adolf builts a bonfire, Enrico plays with it.
Monday, April 15, 2013
Today is Tax Day, lucky enough for 47% of the population, all you have to do is fill out your tax forms and get any money you paid last year back (to be fair, there are plenty of corporations like GE that do not end up paying any taxes either). Of course even if you do not end up any taxes, you still have plenty to worry about as laid out by Marvin Gaye from Inner City Blues (“Natural fact is, honey that I cannot pay my taxes”). So I put the song through iTunes Genius function and here are the songs that came up. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Every day there's something new, honey, to keep me loving you. And with every passing minute. Ah baby, so much joy wrapped up in it. Heaven must have sent you from above.
2. Wait a minute something's going wrong. Someone’s on the phone, three o’clock in the morning. Talking about, how she can make it right.
3. A boy is born in Hard Time, Mississippi. Surrounded by four walls that ain’t so pretty. His parents give him love and affection to keep him strong, moving in the right direction.
4. My brother sat me right down and he talked to me. He told me that I ought to not let you walk on me. And I am sure he meant well.
5. Evolution, revolution, gun control, sound of soul. Shooting rockets to the moon, kids growing up too soon. Politicians say more taxes will solve everything. And the band played on.
6. Oh she may be weary, young girls they do get weary wearing that same shaggy dress.
7. I get down with my girlfriend, that ain’t right. Hollaring, cusing, you wanna fight?
8. Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?
9. Born a man-child of the sun, yeah. Yeah, saw my work had just begun. Yeah, Found I had to stand alone, yeah. Well bless it now I've got my own, oh yeah.
10. Don’t let my glad expression give you the wrong impression, baby I’m sad. I’m sadder than sad. You’re gone and I’m hurting so bad.
11. It’s been too hard living but I’m afraid to die. I don’t know what’s up there beyond the sky.
12. There is a long man that doesn’t like the short man for being such a rich one that will not help the poor one.
13. Hey girl, what's your fantasy? I’ll take you there to that ecstasy. Ooh girl, you blow my mind, I’ll always be your freak.
14. Don’t get so excited when I come home a little late at night. 'Cause we only act like children when we argue fuss and fight.
15. Now if you feel that you can’t go on because all of your hope is gone and your life is filled with much confusion until happiness is just an illusion.
16. A woman will sell her precious body for a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight. Call it lean, mean, mean green.
17. Why do you use me try to confuse me? How can you stand to be so cruel? Why don’t you free me from this prison where I serve my time as your fool.
18. It could all be so simple but you’d rather make it hard. Loving you is like a battle and we both end up with scares.
19. Girl Don’t you ever be sad, lean on me when times gets bad. When the day come and I know you are down in a river of trouble, you about to drown.
20. My sister killer her baby because she couldn’t afford to keep it yet we’re sending people to the moon. September my cousin tried reefer for the first time, now he doing horse: it’s June.
21. Something told me it was over when I saw you and her talking. Something deep down in my soul said, “Cry girl,” when I saw you and that girl walking out.
22. She gives me money when I’m in need. Yes she’s a kind doll, friend in deed. (I Got a Woman - Ray Charles; guessed by Kevin)
23. Don’t need no fortune or fame. I just want you close to me. No time for castles in space. Or living in make believe. I’d trade it all for just a rainy day.
24. I got what I got the hard way. Got to make it better every day. Oh honey I say don’t you fret. Cause you ain’t seen nothing yet. (Soul Man - Sam and Dave; guessed by Kevin)
25. I’m filled with desire, could it be the devil inside me? Or is this the way love’s supposed to be?
Friday, March 15, 2013
I have been listening to my 90’s playlist a lot on my iPod recently so I thought I would sort it by most played and make that this month’s Lyrics Quiz. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Talk about the things you can’t explain: to touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal. If you want to learn how to touch the sky, better learn how to kneel. On your knees boy.
2. Two peas in the same pod, yes we are. Never read too much fiction.
3. We had nothing, I had to do something now I’m knocking on heaven’s door like I’m Bob Dylan.
4. Can you get a set of better clubs with tiny nubs so my irons aren’t always flying off the back swing? (One Week - Stunt - Barenaked Ladies; guessed by Kevin)
5. Sit outside and argue all night long about a God we’ve never seen but never fails to side with me.
6. Get to macking to this (expletive deleted) named Sadie, she used to be the homeboy’s lady.
7. Cards and phone call and pictures of you. Constant reminder of all the thing you get used to.
8. If I could be king, even for a day, I take you as my queen. I’d have it no other way. And our love would rule in this kingdom we have made.
9. And the world’s a stage and the end is near. So push rewind, just in time, thank anybody. It’s just the way that you are. (Then the Morning Comes - Smash Mouth; guessed by Kevin)
10. Just close your eyes and I’ll take you there. This place is warm without a care. We’ll take a swim in the deep blue sea. I go to leave and you reach for me.
11. Pass the road to your house that you never called home. Where they turned off your lights. They say you’ll never know.
12. I don’t care if you really care as long as you don’t go. So I cry, I pray and I beg.
13. Remember you were talking and I watched as sweat ran down your face. Reached out and I caught it at your chin, licked my fingertips.
14. I have been told that salvation let’s their wings unfold. So when I’m lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head, and I feel that love is dead.
15. Follow me into the desert as thirsty as you are. Crack a smile and curl your mouth and drown in alcohol.
16. Who got the only sweetest thing in the world? Who got the love, who got the freshy, freshy?
17. Some useful knowledge can always be found. Don’t burn the library until you’ve read all the books.
18. I know you’re not afraid to go it alone, but this was a marriage of spirit, flesh, and bone.
19. Load up on guns, bring your friend, it’s fun to lose and to pretend. (Smells Like Teen Spirit - Niravana; guessed by Kevin)
20. I don’t know why you’re mean to me when I call on the telephone. And I don’t know what you mean to me, but I want to turn you on, turn you up, figure you out. I want to take you on.
21. He’s got a daughter he calls Easter; she was born on a Tuesday night.
22. Give you everything you need to live inside a twisted cage, speep beside an empty rage. I had a dream I was your hero.
23. Ya know I’d like to keep my cheeks dry today.
24. A pocket is no place for a smile anyway. Someday I will find love again will blow my mind.
25. Visiting is pretty, visiting is good. Seems like all they ever wanted was a brother.
Friday, February 15, 2013
Yesterday was Valentine’s Day so I thought I would run Love Song by Tesla (which was number one on my list of the 100 Greatest Power Ballads of All-Time) through iTunes Genius function and here are the first twenty-five songs that came up. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Got a picture of your house an you’re standing by the door. It’s black and white and faded and it’s looking pretty worn.
2. Do you want to see me begging baby? Can’t you give me just one more day? Can’t you see my heart’s been dragging lately? I’ve been looking for the words to say.
3. I don’t want to hear about it anymore. It is a shame I have to live without you anymore. There’s a fire in my heart, a pounding in my brain. It’s driving me crazy.
4. So here it is, another chance. Wide awake, you face the day. Your dream is over... or has it just begun?
5. Little child, dry your crying eyes, how can I explain the fear you feel inside? Cause you were born into this evil world where man is killing man and no one knows just why.
6. What gives you the right to put a fence to keep you out when other people would let you in? If God was here he would tell it to your face man you’re some kind of sinner. (Signs (Live) - Tesla; guessed by Kevin)
7. I got to know tonight if you’re alone tonight. Can’t stop this feeling, can’t stop this fire.
8. You didn’t know that rock n roll burned so you bought a candle and you lived and you learned.
9. Run, run, run away like a train running off the track. Got the truth being left behind, falls between the cracks.
10. Clean as a whistle, smelling like a rose. She go no dirty little fingers, bloodshot eyes are gone.
11. She calls me Goliath and I wear David mask. I guess the stones are coming too fast for her now.
12. There goes my old girlfriend, there’s another diamond ring. And all those late night promises I guess they don’t mean a thing.
13. We weren’t in love, oh no, far from it, we weren’t searching for some high in the sky summit. We were just young and restless and bored. Living by the sword.
14. And if I had those golden dreams of my yesterdays. I would wrap you in the heaven feeling it dying all the way.
15. Go on and write me up at one twenty-five. Post my face: waned dead or alive. Take my license, all that jive.
16. I’m a fighter, I’m a poet, I’m a preacher. I’ve been to school, oh baby I’ve been the teacher.
17. Well I’m the guy who never learned to dance, never even got one second glance. Across the crowded room was close enough, I could love but I could never touch.
18. Rivers flow into the sea, yet even the seas is not so full of me. If I’m not blind why can’t I see that a circle can’t fit where a square should be?
19. I was born to run, I was born dream, the craziest boy you’ve ever seen. I gotta do it my way, or no way at all.
20. I must be on my way. The time is drawing near. My train is going. I see it in your eyes, the love, the need, your tears. But I'll be lonely without you. And I'll need your love to see me through.
21. Why you act frightened, I m enlightened. You’re weakness fills me. So someday you’ll see.
22. Look at your young men fighting, look at your women crying, look at your young men dying, the way they’ve always done before.
23. Got a surprise especially for you, something that both of us have always wanted to do. We’ve waited so long, waited so long.
24. Well there’s people and more people, what do they know? Go to work in some high rise and vacation down at the Gulf of Mexico.
25. Then I heard it on the street, I heard you might of found someone new. Well who is he baby and tell me what he means to you?
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Every January I like to get into time machine and go back ten year and take a look at my favorite songs from the list I made that year. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. She wants neo-soul cause hip hop is old. She don’t want no rock ‘n’ roll. She want platinum, ice and gold. She want a whole lot of somethin’ to fold.
2. Nobody said it was easy. It’s such a shame for us to part. Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be this hard. Oh, take me back to the start.
3. She got out of town on a railway New York bound. Took all except my name. Another alien on Broadway. (Bright Lights - Matchbox Twenty; guessed by Kevin)
4. If you watch how I move, you'll mistake me for a player or pimp. Been hit with a few shells but I don't walk with a limp.
5. I wear this crown of thorns upon my liar’s chair. Full of broken thoughts I cannot repair. (Hurt - johnny Cash; guessed by Kevin)
6. Maybe I’m tangled in the power line and it might be over in a second’s time. I’d gladly go down in a flame if a flame is what it takes to remember my name.
7. Come out upon my seas. Cursed missed opportunities. Am I a part of the cure? Or am I part of the disease?
8. Did you think that I would cry on the phone? Do you know what it feels like being alone? I’ll find someone new.
9. You were a victim of my crime, a product of my rage, you were a beautiful distraction.
10. But no prints can come from fingers if machines become our hands. And then our feet become the wheels and then the wheels become the cars and then the rigs become begin to drill until the drilling goes too far. (The Horizon Has Been Defeated - Jack Johnson; guessed by Kevin)
11. Four more exits to my apartment but I am tempted to keep the car in drive and leave it all behind.
12. Could of died, so young, now looks ugly and old. No fun cause now when she reaches for hugs people hold they breath ‘cause she smells of corrosion and death.
13. Look at what you did to me: Tennis shoes, don’t even need to buy a new dress. If you ain’t there ain’t nobody else to impress.
14. When it gets cold outside and you got nobody to love. You’ll understand what I mean when I sa y there’s no way we’re gonna give up.
15. Percolate anything you want to call it. Oscillate you hip and don't take pity.
16. We can drive thru the city no doubt, but don’t say my car’s topless, say the (expletive deleted) is out.
17. They wanna ride in something were the rims don’t stop. Look baby you fine, but your girlfriend’s not.
18. When’s this fever gonna break? I think I’ve handled more than any man can take. I’m like a love sick puppy chasing you around, and it’s alright.
19. Now I will tell you what I've done for you. Fifty thousand tears I've cried. Screaming, deceiving and bleeding for you and you still won’t hear me.
20. You don’t care about me and I know there’s just no use. When all your lies become your truths and I don’t care.
21. You stay on my mind, Fulfill my fantasies. I think about you all the time. I see you in my dreams.
22. A hundred and three is forever when you’re just a little kid. So Cyrus Jones lived forever.
23. I’m ready to talk naughty in Veronica’s ear. She erotic and it’s hot, saw Heineken beer. Put her to the side and invite here to, “Cheers”.
24. Yo', whatever happened to the values of humanity? Whatever happened to the fairness in equality? (Where Is the Love? - Black Eyed Peas; guessed by Kevin)
25. And I wake up put on my makeup. Pick up the phone, nobody’s home. I need to break out, get me some takeout. Stand inside a crowd. I wanna scream aloud, “I’ll be OK.”
Saturday, December 15, 2012
I have rounded up my favorite lyrics of the year for you to guess. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Give me a second I… I need to get my stories straight. My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State. (We Are Young - Fun featuring Janelle Monáe; guessed by Kevin)
2. The stairs creak as I sleep, it’s keeping me awake. It’s the house telling you to close your eyes.
3. You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness.
4. It started with a whisper and that is when I kissed her. And then she made my lips hurt.
5. Bless my heart, bless my soul, didn’t think I’d make it to twenty-two years old. There must be someone up above. Say c’mon Britney you gotta come on up.
6. How does it feel, oh how does it feel to be you right now? You brought this apart so pick up your piece and go. Please just let me go now.
7. Oh, can it be, the voices calling me? They get lost and out of time. I should’ve seen it glow. But everybody knows that a broken heart is blind.
8. We both know it’s not what it seems. We both know what’s between the sheets. I know that it’s a secret and that I got keep it.
9. Take me at your best friend’s house. Go around this round-about, oh yeah. Take me to your best friend’s house. I loved you then and I love you now, oh yeah.
10. If happy ever after still exists, I would still be holding you this. And all of the faiytales are full of (expletive deleted). One more (expletive deleted) love song and I’ll be sick.
11. I just met you, and this is crazy.
12. Human beings in a mob. What’s a mob to a king? What’s a king to a God? What’s a God to a non-believer who don’t believe in anything?
13. I’m a good man with a good heart. Had a tough time, got a rough start. But I’ve finally learned to let it go.
14. This is it boy, this is war. What are we waiting for? Why don’t we break the rules already?
15. First there lights out then its lock up. Masterpieces serving maximum sentences. It’s their own fault for being timeless.
16. Love is not a whisper or a weakness. No love is strong so we got to get together.
17. But does not make logical, if you say I’m just an animal. You can’t explain away the way I feel.
18. No troubles ever gonna take anything away from me.
19. Pull it out, turn it up, what’s your favorite song. That’s mine, I’ve been crying to it since I was young.
20. No I don’t like you I just thought you were cool enough to kick it. Got a beach house I can sell you in Idaho.
21. It’s better to feel pain then nothing at all. The opposite of love is indifference.
22. And you would hide away with some indie records that’s so much cooler than mine.
23. Fear like a habit, run like a rabbit out and away through the screen door to the unknown. And I wanna love you and more, I wanna find you and more. Where do you reside when you hide how can I find ya?
24. I lit a fire with the love you left behind and it burned wild and crept up the mountain side. I followed your ashes into outer space.
25. We got engaged on s Friday Night. I swore on the head of our unborn child that I could take care of the three of us. But I got the tendency to slip when the nights get wild. It’s in my blood.
Thursday, November 15, 2012
About 26 centuries ago the Mayans created a calendar that ended December 21, 2012. Some have theorized that it was a prediction of when the world would end. Then again maybe the calendar maker though 2,600 years into the future was enough, maybe he died and no one wanted to continue his work, or he simply ran out of room. So in honor of what could very well be my last lyrics quiz ever, I have dedicated the theme to apocalyptic songs and the paranoia that goes along with thinking the world is going to end. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. When I woke up this morning could have sworn it was judgment day. The sky was all purple there were people running everywhere.
2. We can live beside the ocean, live them all behind. Swim out past the breaker, watch the world die.
3. The ice age is coming, the sun’s zooming in. Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thing. A nuclear era, but I have no fear.
4. I hear hurricanes a blowing. I know the end is coming soon. I fear rivers overflowing. I hear the voice of raising ruins.
5. Hey Satan! Paid my dues playing in a rocking band. Hey momma! Look at me I’m on my way to the Promised Land.
6. We’re leaving together, but it’s still farewell. And maybe we’ll come back to Earth. Who can tell? I guess there is no one to blame.
7. War, children, it’s just a shot away.
8. I’m gonna rock you like a baby when the cities fall. We will rise as the buildings crumble, float there and watch it all. Amidst the burning, we’ll be churning. Our love will be our wings, passion rising up from the ashes.
9. There’s too many men, too many people making too many problems and not much love to go around. (Land of Confusion - Genesis; guessed by Kevin)
10. We held a concert out in Brooklyn to watch the Island Bridges blow. They turned our power down and drove us underground but we went right with the show.
11. Thirteen month old baby broke the looking glass. Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.
12. Perhaps you never sleep because every time you doze you catch blows to the (expletive deleted) nose. Ain’t seen the sun in 66 days. Like me count the ways in a (expletive deleted) maze.
13. Take the power back. It’s time the fat cats had a heart attack. You know that there time is coming to an end. We have to unify and watch out flag ascend.
14. Panic bells, it’s red alert. There’s something here from somewhere else. The war machine springs to life.
15. Till Armageddon no shalam, no shalom . Then the father hen will call his chickens home.
16. It's the same everyday in a hell man made. What can be saved, and who will be left to hold her?
17. Last time we met it was a low lit room. We were close together as a bride and groom. We ate the food, drank the wine. Everybody having a good time. Except you.
18. In silk suit, trying not to sweat. Hit summersaults without the net. But this’ll be the year we won’t forget. One-nine, nine, nine, Ano Domini, anything goes.
19. I didn’t mean take up all you sweet time. I give it back one of these days. I don’t need you no more in this world. I’ll meet you on the next one, so don’t be late.
20. God bless us everyone we’re a broken people living under loaded gun. Now he can’t be out fought, he can’t be out done, he can’t be matched, he can’t be outrun.
21. Feel it coming in the air. Hear the screams from everywhere. I'm addicted to the thrill. It’s a dangerous love affair. Can’t be scared when it goes down. Got a problem, tell me now.
22. Steal me, deal me, anyway you heal me, maim me, tame me, you can never change me.
23. Sad can’t catch me, call me baby now. When it's all I use to believe. If the sun don't light, and the night won’t turn…
24. Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile. Sunspots have faded and now I'm doing time.
25. Lenard Bernstein!
Monday, October 15, 2012
Today is Blog Action Day and this year’s theme is “The power of We”. In honor of the day, this month’s Lyrics Quiz will feature songs that have either the word “Power” or “We” in the title. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. I’m living in that 21st century. Doing something mean to it. Do it better than anybody you ever seen do it.
2. We’ll fight the powers of be just don’t pick our destiny cause you don’t know us you don’t belong.
3. What we need is awareness, we can’t get careless. You say, “What is this?”
4. Fall is here, hear the yell, back to school, ring the bell.
5. We’ll walk hand in hand, we’ll walk hand in hand, we’ll walk hand in hand someday.
6. They say you are a snuff queen. Honey I don’t think that’s true.
7. I got needs just like you. Give me conversations, good vibrations through and through.
8. Buddy you’re a young man, hard man shouting in the streets, gonna take on the world someday. (We Will Rock You - Queen; guessed by Kevin)
9. What you’re problem? Let’s resolve them. We can solve this, what the cause is. Its officials, you got issues; I got issues.
10. Ninety miles outside Chicago. Can’t stop driving, I don’t know way. So many questions I need an answer. Two years later you’re still on my mind.
11. She spends his Franklin's at the malls with her friends, material girl, living in a material world. But it’s alright cause it's Saturday night.
12. You might stop a hurricane. Might even stop the driving rain. You might have a dozen other guys, but if you wanna stop me baby, don’t even try.
13. One two, tell me what you got. Let me slip my quarters inside your slot to hit the jackpot. Rev me up rev me up my little buttercup.
14. Hang onto the world as it spins around. Just don't let the spin get you down. Things are moving fast. Hold on tight and you will last.
15. Yellow diamonds in the light. And we're standing side by side. As your shadow crosses mine. What it takes to come alive.
16. Maybe it's a sign of weakness when I don't know what to say. Maybe I just wouldn't know what to do with my strength anyway.
17. You don’t need money, don’t take fame. Don’t need no credit card to ride this train. It’s strong and it's sudden and it’s cruel sometimes. But it might just save your life.
18. I’d kinda like to be the president, so I can show you how your money’s spent.
19. That’s great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane. Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
20. Am I more than you bargained for yet? I’ve been dying to tll you anything you want to hear ‘cause that’s just who I am this week. (Sugar, We're Goin Down - From Under the Cork Tree - Fall Out Boy; guessed by Kevin)
21. Radical mind day and night all the time. Seven, fourteen, wise, divine. Maniac, brainiac, winning the game. I’m the lyrical Jesse James.
22. Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline. Ayatollah’s in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan.
23. Let’s not fight, I’m tired, can’t we just sleep tonight? Turn away; it’s just there’s nothing left here to say. Turn around.
24. If we keep up on this fooling around. We’ll be the talk of the town. I’ll tell the world I'm in love any time. Let’s open up the blinds ‘cause we really don’t mind.
25. People they come together. People they fall apart. No one can stop us now.
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Green Day is releasing an album this month. Actually they are releasing a trio of albums over the next couple months. And since it is September I thought I would put their Wake Me Up When September Ends into iTunes Genius feature and these are the tracks they gave back to me. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. So here’s your holiday. Hope you enjoyed it this time. You gave it all away. It was mine. So when you’re dead and gone, will you remember this night? Twenty years now lost.
2. I guess it ain’t easy doing nothing at all. But hey man free rides don’t come along everyday.
3. Suddenly I’m not half the man I used to be. There’s a shadow hanging over me.
4. I wish I was like you: easily amused. Find my nest of salt, everything’s my fault.
5. Sit around and watch the phone but no one’s calling. Call me pathetic, call me what you will.
6. It’s all about the exposure, the lens, I told her. The angles are all wrong. Now she’s ripping wings off of butterflies.
7. Don’t forget to call my lawyers with ridiculous demands. And you can take the pity so far. But it’s more than I can stand.
8. I never thought I’d walk away from you. I did. But it’s a false sense of accomplishment.
9. You know the day destroys the night. Night divides the day.
10. I ain’t got a fever, got a permanent disease. And it’ll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy.
11. The lunatic is on the grass. Remembering games, and daisy chains and laughs. Git to keep the loonies on the path.
12. He spends his nights in California watching the stars on the big screen. And then he lies awake and wonders, why can’t that be me?
13. Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room. Young girl, violin(ence) center o her own attention.
14. When I read the letters you wrote me, you made me mad, mad, mad.
15. Don’t know what I’m going do about this feeling inside. Yes it’s true, loneyness toke me for a ride. Without your love, I’m nothing g but a beggar. Without your love: a dog without a bone.
16. You say you stand by your man. Tell me something I don’t understand. You say you loved me and that’s a fact. And then you left me. Said you felt trapped.
17. Where’s it going t get you acting serious? Things are never going to be quite what you want. Even at twenty-five you got to start something.
18. And the northern girls with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night.
19. I’m going down shoot my old lady, you know I caught her messing ‘round with another man.
20. Do what I want ‘cause I can and if I don’t because I wanna. Be ignored by the stiff and the bored because I wanna.
21. Here’s a toast to all those that hear me all too well.
22. Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have kicked you around some. Who knows why you wanna lay there and revel in your abandon?
23. Into the flood again, same old trip it was back then. So I made a big mistake. Try to see it once my way.
24. I'd be your lover, if you were there. Put your hurt on me, if you dare. Such a woman, you got style. You make every man feel like a child.
25. Feeling uninspired, think I'll start a fire. Everybody run, Bobby’s got a gun.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
I have already dedicated a couple posts this month to the golden age of hip hop and am continuing that with this month’s Lyrics Quiz. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section (or e-mail me). If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Bo knows this and Bo knows that, but Bo don’t know crap ‘cause Bo can’t rap. (Scenario - A Tribe Called Quest featuring Leaders of the New School; guessed by Mike)
2. Everybody’s rapping like it’s a commercial; acting like life is a big commercial, so this is what I got to say to you all: Be true to yourself and you will never fall. (Pass the Mic - Beastie Boys; guessed by Doug)
3. That’s right my right is ill, peace goes out to L.O.N.S. and Quest, Nice and Smooth, and Cypress Hill. (Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty by Nature; guessed by Mike)
4. Got ‘em mad and trebling, ‘cause I been up in my lab assembling missiles to bomb the enemy because they envy me, and the making of my mad currency. (Drop - The Pharcyde; guessed by Doug)
5. I said, “Mom, what are you doing? You’re ruining my rap,” She said, “You’re only sixteen; you don’t have a rap yet.” (Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince; guessed by Mike)
6. I sit along in my four cornered rooms starring candles… oh that (expletive deleted) is on? (Mind Playing Tricks On Me - We Can't Be Stopped - Geto Boys; guessed by Mike)
7. If you’re hungry get something to eat, if you’re dirty, then go take a bath. Messed up a line? Nope, sometimes I don’t rhyme.
8. Big time way before Hammer got to touch it. Remember the faces in all types of places. Look ma, no shoelaces. (Down With the King - Down With the King - Run-DMC featuring Pete Rock and CL Smooth; guessed by Mike)
9. At the same time with the dope rhyme that I kick you know, and I know, I flow some ol’ funky… (Nuthin' But A G Thang - Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg; guessed by Doug)
10. Hip Hop got turned into Hip Pop. The Second a record was number one on the pop charts. (Pop Goes the Weasel - 3rd Bass; guessed b Mike)
11. Get used to one style and you know I might switch it up up and around, then buck buck you down. Put out your head then you wake up in Dawn of the Dead. (Jump Around - House of Pain; guessed by Mike)
12. Once upon a time, not long ago, where people wore pajamas and lived life slow. (Children's Story - Slick Rick; guessed by Mike)
13. Kicking out girls that’s nicety. Yo, I got a body count like Ice-T. (Wicked - Ice Cube; guessed by Doug)
14. It was all a dream. Used to read Word Up magazine. Salt ‘n’ Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine. (Juicy - Notorious B.I.G.; guessed by Mike)
15. Times is ruff like leather. Figured out I went the wrong route so I got with a sick (expletive deleted) click and went all out. (C.R.E.A.M. - Wu-Tang Clan; guessed by Doug)
16. Others say rhymes which fail to be original or they kill where the hip-hop starts forget about the ghetto and rap for the pop charts. (Express Yourself - N.W.A.; guessed by Mike)
17. I just got offstage, dripping, pouring with sweat. I was walking through the crowd and guess who I met?
18. In school I wrote notes and took quotes from Shakespeare and other types of rhymes to show you that I care. (Case of the P.T.A. - Leader Of The New School; guessed by Doug)
19. The rhythm is the bass and the bass is the treble. (Regulate - Warren G featuring Nate Dogg; guessed by Mike)
20. Don’t Worry Be Happy was a number one jam. (Expletive deleted) if I say you can slap me right here. (Fight the Power - Public Enemy; guessed by Mike)
21. Yo I gotta funky funky rhyme with a funky funky style. (Hip Hop Junkies - Nice and Smooth; guessed by Mike)
22. And when I pull out my jammy get ready 'cause it might go Blowww. How ya like me now? (Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J; guessed by Mike)
23. Nineteen, I got a fifty-thousand dollar car. Go to school, I ain’t going for it. (New Jack Hustler (Nino's Theme) - Ice-T; guessed by Mike)
24. A lot of rappers be like one time wonders. Couldn’t say a fly rhyme if there was one right under… their noises. (Mass Appeal - Gang Starr; guessed by Mike)
25. Thinking of a master plan. Cuz ain’t nothing but sweat inside my hand. (Paid In Full - Eric B and Rakim; guessed by Mike)
Sunday, July 15, 2012
A couple weeks ago VH1 released their latest list of The 40 Greatest RnB Songs of the 90’s and like all of their lists, some of the inclusions (Bone Thugs-n-Harmony are RnB?) and omissions (were Michael Jackson and Prince too big for the RnB label by the 90’s) were head scratching even if this list was as egregious as their list of The 40 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s which was so bad it inspired me to make my only list of The 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s. I probably will not come up with my own RnB songs of the 90’s list, but for this month’s Lyrics Quiz I did pick twenty-five songs that probably should have been on VH1’s list. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Take my money, my house and my cars. For one hit of you, you can have it all, baby. (Feenin' - Jodeci; guessed by Doug)
2. How blue can I get, you can ask my own heart. Well like a jigsaw puzzle, it’s been torn all apart. (Nobody Knows - Tony Rich Project; guessed by Doug)
3. Now you can have me when you want me. You simply ask me to be there.
4. The very first time that I saw your brown eyes. Your lips said, “Hello” and I said, Hi.” I knew right then you were the one. (If I Ever Fall In Love - Shai; guessed by Doug)
5. Other guys have tried before to replace you as my lover. Never did I have a doubt, boy iy’s you I can’t do without. (Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson; guessed by Doug)
6. In our darkest hour, in my deepest despair, will you still care?
7. Girl if I told you I love you, that doesn’t mean I don’t care. And when I tell you I need you, don’t think that I’ll never be there. (Cupid - 112; guessed by Doug)
8. Tell me who I have to be to get some reciprocity. See no one love you more than me and no one ever will. (Ex-Factor - Lauryn Hill; guessed by Doug)
9. Would you be a happy boy or a girl. If I could I would give you the world. But all I can do is just offer you my love. (Diamonds and Pearls - Prince and the New Power Generation; guessed by Doug)
10. Prejudice: wrote a song about. Like to hear it? Here it go. (Free Your Mind - En Vogue; guessed by Doug)
11. You remain my power, my pleasure, my pain. To me you’re a grown addition I can’t deny. (Kiss from a Rose - Seal; guessed by Doug)
12. I thought we’d get to see forever. But forever has gone away. (It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday - Boyz II Men; guessed by Doug)
13. Still have your picture in a frame. Hear your footsteps down the hall. I swear I hear your voice, driving me insane. (Anytime - Brian McKnight; guessed by Doug)
14. Is it my turn to wish you were lying here? I didn’t dream you and I’m sleeping.
15. You are the girl that I never had and I want to get to know you better. (Iesha - Another Bad Creation; guessed by Doug)
16. Since the first day I ever laid my eye on your face I knew you would be mine. And since the time you gave me your tiny hand I knew I wanted to be your man.
17. I wanna tease you, I wanna please you. I wanna show you baby, that I need you. I want your body ‘till the very last drop. (Nobody - Keith Sweat; guessed by Doug)
18. Put your faith in me and I’ll do anything. I will cross the ocean for you. I will go and bring you the moon. (For You I Will - Monica; guessed by Doug)
19. If you should feel that I don’t really care and that you’re starting to lose ground. Just let me reassure you that you can count on me and that I’ll always be around.
20. Tell me princess now did you last let your heart decide?
21. The twenty-third of loneliness and we don’t talk like we used to do. Now it feels pretty strange but I’m not buggin’. (Creep - TLC; guessed by Doug)
22. Large, if large is how you living why you living large? Are you taking what is given to you in the form of true experience ‘cause if you’re not you life will be spent. (Live and Learn - Joe Public; guessed by Doug)
23. It feels like springtime in winter. It feels like Christmas in June. It feels like Heaven has opened up its gates to me and you.
24. You want me but he needs you. Yet you’re telling me everything is cool. Trying to convince me to do as you say. Just go along and see things your way.
25. Smack it up, flip it, rub it down, oh no! (Do Me! - Bell Bive DeVoe; guessed by Doug)
Friday, June 15, 2012
The Beach Boys released their first album fifty years ago and recently just put out a reunion album. Even after five decade the group is still synonymous with summer (ironically Surfin’ Safari came out in October of 1962) which officially starts next week so I thought I would put Surfing U.S.A. though iTunes Genius and you it to create this month’s Lyrics Quiz. The list is not as summery as I was expecting. But anyway. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. My belle, sont des mots qui vont tre bien ensemble, tre bien ensemble. (Michelle - Rubber Soul - The Beatles; guessed by Rebekah)
2. A time to plant, a time to reap. A time to kill, a time to heal. A time to laugh, a time to weep. (Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) - The Byrds; guessed by Rebekah)
3. When the one that left us here returns for us at last we are but a moment’s sunlight fading in the grass.
4. Well beat the drum and hold the phone, the sun came out today. We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
5. No I cannot forget where it is that I come from; I cannot forget the people who love me. (Small Town - John Mellencamp; guessed by Rebekah)
6. Clean shirt, new shoes, and I don’t know where I am going to. Silk suit, black tie, I don’t need a reason why. (Sharp Dressed Man - Eliminator; guessed by Rebekah)
7. Mommy’s alright, daddy’s all right, they just seem a little weird. (Surrender - Cheap Trip; guessed by Rebekah)
8. Bring a song and a smile for the banjo. Better get while the gettings good. Hitch a ride to the end of the highway where the neons turn to wood.
9. Got in a little hometown jam so the put a rifle in my hand, sent me off to a foreign land. (Born In the U.S.A. - Born In the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen; guessed by Rebekah)
10. Well it’s been building up inside of me for, oh, I don’t know how long. But I keep thinking something’s bound to go wrong.
11. Are you gonna worry for the rest of your life. Why are you in such a hurry to be lonely one more night?
12. She hates time, make it stop. When did Motley Crew become classic rock?
13. The time is drawing near. My train is going, I see in your eyes. The love, the need, your tears.
14. When we get crazy, it just ain’t right. Girl I get lonely too. You don’t have to worry, just hold on tight. (I Can't Tell You Why - The Eagles; guessed by Rebekah)
15. You don’t need money, don’t take fame, don’t need no credit card to ride this train. (The Power of Love - Huey Lewis and the News; guessed by Rebekah)
16. She stood alone on her balcony, yeah, she could hear the cars roll by out on 441 like waves crashing on the beach.
17. We don’t need no education. (Another Brick In the Wall, Pt. 2 - Pink Floyd; guessed by Rebekah)
18. I could tell she liked my from the way she stared. And the way she said, you missed the spot over there.”
19. I wait in this pace where the sun never shines. Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves. (White Room - Cream; guessed by Rebekah)
20. I went from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Tacoma. Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A. Northern California where the girls are warm. (Rock'n Me - Steve Miller Band; guessed by Rebekah)
21. I make rich women beg. I’ll make a good woman steal. I'll make an old woman blush. And make a young woman steal. (Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood & The Destroyers; guessed by Rebekah)
22. I tripped the merry-go-round. With this very unpleasing, sneezing, wheezing, the calliope crashed to the ground. (Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band; guessed by Rebekah)
23. Now everybody do the propaganda and sing along to the age of paranoia.
24. I’m getting tired of waiting and fooling around. I’ll find somebody eho won’t make me feel like a clown. (Evil Ways - Santana; guessed by Rebekah)
25. When I want to runaway I drive off in my car. But whichever way I go, I come back to the place you are. (In Your Eyes - So (Remastered) - Peter Gabriel; guessed by Rebekah)
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
As we wind down the television season, I am going to run down the best music placement of the past twelve months and as an added twist, I am going to do it in Lyrics Quiz form so you have to guess to see the actual list. As usual, place your guesses in the comment (or e-mail me), both artist and song title, and if you are correct I will un-bold the lyric. For fun, feel free to also guess which television shows the song was used on, a couple of the ones on my list even have multiple answers. Please note in one case where the artist namedropped himself, I changed his name to my own as to not make the artist of the song obvious.
1. Smelling like Dolce and Gabbana. Shorty you the baddest and to meet you is an honor.
2. Dans les buissons sous le ciel du mois d'août. Les amoureux glissent à pas de loup. Comme les oiseaux ils ont rendez-vous. On l'entend partout.
3. There is so much a man can tell you so much he can say. You remain my power, my pleasure, my pain.Kiss from a Rose - Seal; guessed by Rebekah)
4. Even saw the lights of the Goodyear blimp and it read (Scooter McGavin) is a pimp.
5. I’ve loved you since I knew ya. I wouldn’t talk down to ya. I have to tell you just how I feel, I won’t share you with another boy. (Roxanne - The Police; guessed by Rebekah)
6. I was last in my class. Barely passed at the institute. Now I’m trying to avoid, yeah I’m trying to avoid a malpractice suit.
7. Got the right to vote and will elect and other rappers can’t stand us but give us respect.
8. I’ll follow you down until the sound of my voice will haunt you. You’ll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you. (Silver Springs (Live) - Fleetwood Mac; guessed by Rebekah)
9. There’s nothing where he used to lie. Conversation has gone dry. That’s what’s going on. (Torn - Natalie Imbruglia; guessed by Rebekah)
10. Never opened myself this way. Life is our, we live it our way. All these words I don’t just say.
11. Is this the real life. Is this just fantasy. Caught in a landslide no escape from reality. (Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen; guessed by Rebekah)
12. I’ve been alone with you inside my mind. And in my dreams I kissed your lips a thousand times. (Hello - Lionel Richie; guessed by Rebekah)
13. If you’re seeing things running through your head, who you gonna call?
14. You say go slow and I fall behind. The secondhand unwinds. (Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper; guessed by Rebekah)
15. You’ll think you’re looking at Aquaman. I summon fish to the dish.
16. If you got a problem, yo I’ll solve it. (Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice; guessed by Rebekah)
17. Plant a seed, plant a flower, plant a rose. Plant any one of those. Keep planting to see which one grows.
18. The first thing I met was a fly with no buzz and the sky with no clouds.
19. I’m sure I might be rude but it’s just your attitude it’s tearing me apart, its ruining me every day. (Linger - The Cranberries; guessed by Rebekah)
20. I will pray for you. I will sell my soul for something pure and true. For someone like you.
21. Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it’s time to sing-along. When your day is night alone, hold on. (Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.; guessed by Rebekah)
22. You only know what I want you to. I know everything you don’t want me to.
23. Gotta have a celebration. Rock my soul.
24. When the rain is blowing in you face and the whole world is on your case. I could off you a warm embrace. (Make You Feel My Love - Bob Dylan; guessed by Rebekah)
25. I am thinking it’s a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images and when we kiss they’re perfectly aligned.
Sunday, April 15, 2012
100 years ago today, the RMS Titanic sank to the bottom of the ocean (yes kiddies, the movie was based on a real event even though the characters are totally fake). So for this month’s lyrics quiz I plugged the song that sank the ship, My Heart Will Go On, through iTunes Genius function and here are the twenty-five songs the program gave back to me. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. I want to thank you for giving me time to breathe like a rock you waited patiently while I got it together, while I figured it out.
2. Oh baby, I can’t fight this feeling anymore. Drives me crazy when I try to. So come my way, take my hand. Can you make my wish, baby you are in command.
3. Like anyone would be I am flattered by your fascination with me. Like any hot-blooded woman I have simply wanted an object to crave.
4. I’ve always been in love with you. UI guess you’ve always known it’s true. You took my love for granted, why oh why. The show is over, say goodbye.
5. I wish I could just make you turn around, turn around and see me cry. There’s so much I need to say to you, so many reasons why. You’re the only one who really knew he at all.
6. Oh it’s beautiful, but wait a minute, isn’t this… but I thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean at the end.
7. I am never broken, In the end only kindness matters. I will get down on my knees, and I will pray.
8. Don’t wish it away; don’t look at it like kids forever. Between you and me I can honestly say things can only get better.
9. And then the punches flew and chairs were smashed in two. There was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?
10. No I don’t need your number, there’s nothing left to say. Except I never thought it would hurt this much to be saved.
11. I feel my spirits rise And soar like the wind. Is it love that I am in? I get weak in a glance. Isn’t that what's called romance?
12. I used to dream, I used to glance beyond the stars. But now I don’t know where we are, although I know we’ve drifted far.
13. She’ll promise you more than the Garden of Eden. Then she’ll careless cut you and laugh while your bleeding.
14. Well I hear the music, close my eyes, feel the rhythm wrap around, take a hold of my heart.
15. And there are voices that want to be heard. So much to mention but you can’t find the words. The scent of magic, the beauty that’s been when love was wilder than the wind.
16. I may be mad, I may be blind, I may be viciously unkind but I can still read what you’re thinking.
17. I will be the one to hold you down, kiss you so hard. I’ll take your breath away.
18. Just the other night baby I saw you hanging you were with your crew, I was with mine too. You took me by surprise when you turned and looked me in my eyes, oh you really blew my mind.
19. Her weapons were her crystal eyes making every man a man. Black as the dark night she was, got what no one else had.
20. She can’t remember the time that she felt needed. If love was blind she was color blind. All her friends well they were trialed for treason and crimes that were never defined.
21. I had to escape, the city was sticky and cruel. Maybe I should have called you first, but I was dying to get to you.
22. I really should have known by the time you drove me home. By the vagueness in your eyes, your casual good byes, by the chill in youe embrace.
23. Sergeant O'Leary is walking the beat, at night he becomes a bartender. He works at Mister Cacciatores down on Sullivan Street.
24. My boss is lame you know, and so is the pay. I’m gonna put that new black mini on my charge anyway.
25. Oh, this is the start of something good, don’t you agree? I haven’t felt like this in so many moons, you know what I mean?
Thursday, March 15, 2012
St. Patrick is in two days away, and what better way to celebrate that with a little House of Pain (maybe Dropkick Murphys). So I thought I would put their Shamrocks and Shenanigans (natch) through iTunes’ Genius function and here are the twenty-five songs it gave back. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. Hey yo kids, remember when I used to be dope? I owned a pocket full of fame. But look at what you’re doing now. (Fallin' - De La Soul and Teenage Fanclub; guessed by Doug)
2. I can only guess what’s happening. Years ago he would have been the ship’s captain. Getting me bruised on a cruise, what else I gotta lose?
3. I got a squad with a list of complainers. I should’ve started R.A.P.E.: Rappers Against Phony Entertainers.
4. Sleep on silk like a politician, my Uzi is my best friend, cold asd a mortician. Lock me up, it’s genocidal catastrophe, there’ll be another on after me. (New Jack Hustler (Nino's Theme) - Ice-T; guessed by Doug)
5. You’re about to witness the strength of street knowledge. (Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.; guessed by Doug)
6. I gotta get my props; cops come and try snatch my crops. These pigs trying to blow my house down. (Insane In the Brain - Cypress Hill; guessed by Doug)
7. Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat, and I’ll beat a biter down with an aluminum bat.
8. Recruiting suckers, Mac and Mike, and making men of ‘em. Tears and Fears were my peers, they ripping. You think that it is, it is, if not it isn’t. (Down With the King - Run-DMC; guessed by Doug)
9. I was on 1-2-5 and St. Nick, waiting on a cab, standing in the rain. Under my heart: big clouds of pain. (Sometimes I Rhyme Slow - Nice and Smooth; guessed by Doug)
10. Don’t punch girls and we don’t punch a clock. Gotta go, gotta go, see you later by the cat and you can’t beat that with a bat. (The Choice Is Yours - Black Sheep; guessed by Doug)
11. You gotta gave heart, son, if you wanna go. Watch this sweet chariot swing low. Ain’t nobody crying, ain’t nobody dying, ain’t nobody worried, everybody’s trying.
12. Fools get foolish neither them or Parker Lewis knew us. You could have crews wit shoes and can’t step to us. (Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty by Nature; guessed by Doug)
13. They say you look like MC Hammer on crack. (The Humpty Dance - Digital Packets; guessed by Doug)
14. Calvin Klein’s no friend of mine so I don’t like Marky or the monarchy. (On Point - House of Pain; guessed by Doug)
15. Just then a figure had caught my eye, a man with a sombrero who was four feet high. I pulled over to ask where we was at. His index finger, he tipped up his hat…
16. No I’m not a sucka sitting in the house of pain. And no I’m not the butler, I’ll cut ya. You say you can’t touch this and I wouldn’t touch ya. (Check Yo Self - Ice Cube; guessed by Doug)
17. I’m causing more family feuds than Richard Dawson. And the survey said: you’re dead. (Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta F' Wit - Wu-Tang Clan; guessed by Doug)
18. Gap teeth in your mouth so my (expletive deleted)’s gotta fit. (Dre Day - Dr. Dre; guessed by Doug)
19. Then she lost her mind and did the ultimate: I asked for Adidas and she bought me Zips! (Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince; guessed by Doug)
20. I’ll chill like Pacino, kill like DeNiro, Black Gambino, die like a hero, living on shaky ground too close to the edge. (Juice (Know the Ledge) - Eric B. and Rakim; guessed by Doug)
21. You start to shiver, then you scream, my friend. You wake up Muttley, because you’re dreaming again.
22. Slide ‘em across from New York down by your Virginia. Tickling you around Delaware before I enter. (Rump Shaker - Wreckx-n-Effect; guessed by Doug)
23. Stop, drop, shut ‘em down, open up shop. (Ruff Ryders Anthem - DMX; guessed by Doug)
24. Take it off the rack, if it’s wack put it back. I like the Whopper, (expletive deleted) the Big Mac.
25. I don’t have no trouble with you (expletive deleted) me but I have a little problem with you not (expletive deleted) me.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
I rib iTunes Genius feature because it comes up with less genius playlist and more just a group of songs within the same genre. But after plugging in Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand, which landed at number one on my list of the 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90’s, the first four songs that Genuis came up with were all songs from that list. Seven one hit wonders total from the decade in all showed up in the top twenty-five (and two other from the eighties). Sure I would have been more impressed if How Blue Can You Get? by B.B. King, the songs that is sampled, was on the list. But anyway. So I took those top twenty-five songs and made them into this month’s lyrics quiz. As always leave your guesses, both artist and song title, in the comment section or e-mail me. If you are correct I will un-bold the lyric and give you credit. Please keep in mind the lyrics quiz is for entertainment purposes only so please only use your own meandering mind to guess them.
1. I wanna hold the hand inside you. I wanna take a breath that’s true. I look to you and I see nothing. I look to you to see the truth.
2. What if I were Romeo in black jeans?
3. And you just don’t get it, keep it copasetic, and you learn to accept it, and no, you’re so pathetic.
4. I don’t mind the sun sometimes, the images it shows. I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes.
5. Nothing so loud than hearing when we lie. Truth is not kind but you say neither am I. (All I Want - Toad the Wet Sproket; guessed by Rebekah)
6. She spent her twenties between the sheets. Life limped along at sub-sonic speeds.
7. I’m not expecting to grow flowers in the desert but I can look and breathe and see the sun in winter time.
8. Seems like everybody’s got a plan. It’s kinda like Nashville, with a tan. (Lullaby - Shawn Mullin; guessed by Rebekah)
9. When I want something and I don’t wanna pay for it: I just walk right through the door.
10. I’m turning to the horoscope and looking for the funnies when I’m feeling someone watching and so I turn my head. (Tom's Diner - Suzanne Vega; guessed by Rebekah)
11. Pulling out jives and jamboree hand outs, two turn tables and a microphone.
12. We don’t even care to shake these zipper blues. We don’t know just where these bones will rest. To dust I guess.
13. Well I’ve never prayed but tonight I’m on my knees, yeah. I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me yeah.
14. It’s not a habit, it’s cool, I feel alive, if you don’t have it you’re on the other side.
15. You cook so well, all nice and French, you do yo. Brain surgery too mama with your monkey wrench.
16. Hold this string as I walk away. Watch me unravel; I’ll soon be naked, lying on the floor. (Undone (The Sweater Song) - Weezer; guessed by Rebekah)
17. Philosophy, it’s the talk on a cereal box. Religion is a smile on a dog. (What I Am - Edie Brickell; guessed by Rebekah)
18. If I seem to be confused I didn’t mean to be with you. And when you said I scared you well I guess you scared me too. (Joey - Concrete Blonde; guessed by Rebekah)
19. And I will be the one to hold you down, kiss you so hard. I’ll take your breath away. And after I will wipe your tears away. Just close your eyes dear. (Possession - Sarah McLachlan; guessed by Rebekah)
20. I want a girl who gets up early. I want a girl who stays up late. I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity who uses a machete to cut through red tape.
21. Well you know just what you do to me. The way you move soft and slippery. Cut the night just like a razor. Rarely talk and that’s the danger.
22. It is the way we move your hand and it’s the way you understand. That’s the reason that I’m asking. That’s the reason I want to know.
23. I rushed the ladies’ room, took the water from the toilet, washed her feet and blessed her name.
24. That’s great it starts with earthquake, bird and snakes and aeroplanes. Lenny Bruce is not afraid. (It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.; guessed by Rebekah)
25. World was on fire, no one could save me but you. Strange word desire, make people do. (Wicked Game - Chris Isaak; guessed by Rebekah)